• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd keeps disengaging

hurleyman07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys i have s 2004 ford ranger when you put it in 4wd high or low and get it under a load or turn the wheel a little at about 3000rpm it disengages the 4wd and makes a loud popping noise ive put 2 different transfer cases in it new hubs new cv axles the only thing i havent replaced is the front axle do you think it could be internal in the front gearing?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

2004 has Live Axles up front so those can't "disengage"

I can't see the front differential being the issue if it "worked again" with 2nd transfer case, these don't tend to self heal, lol
It is an OPEN differential so if either axle shaft becomes easier to turn, disengages, then you do loose 4WD

Was the first transfer case broken?
was it disassembled to see if or what broken inside?

The 4x4CM, control module, is a known failure point on 2001-2011 Ranger 4x4s
Its possible it is moving transfer case shift rod via shift motor when you are bouncing around off-road
You could try shifting into 4WD then unplugging the shift motor's 8 wire connector, disabling 4x4CM control, and hitting the trails

4x4CM is located behind the radio in 2004-2011 Rangers

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The front end is independent suspension and I believe they use CV axles, if one of the CV axle shafts has popped out of the differential you'll certainly not have 4WD, or if you have a CV joint that has failed and you are turning and it separates itself you'll lose 4WD...if you are just changing transfer cases you obviously aren't correcting the problem. I doubt its the shift motor as its engaging. My thoughts would be an axle popping out of place. You'll have to put the front end up on stands and pull the front wheels most likely for easier access to see if those front shafts are pulling out of the differential.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals