• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd Hi/ Low indicator.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Just a quick question. Do the 4wd indicators on the dash of a 93-97 Ranger run off the electronics of the electric transfercase, or do they use sensors or something in the T-case?

I need to know becuase my electric transfer case is not working, and I don't really want to mess with cleaning/ replacing the motor on it, or swapping to a manual (although the manual would be nice). So I have a plan, I just need to know about the indicator before I think it through too much.

Thanks

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the lights run off of the rotory switch on the back of the shift motor. they do not go through the shift control computer.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
So, if I were to take the shift motor off, the dash lights would not be iluminated if I put it in 4 hi/ 4 low then? I would be doing it manually by turning the shaft.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
no, they wouldnt light.

the manual shift cases have a separate sensor that screws into the front housing (which is different then the electric shift housing)

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thanks. Hmm, I will just have to remember then, not that I needed the lights in the first place. Now I need to finish my truck and then get to working on this solution. I think it will work, if it does, I will post how I did it/ how it works. Or maybe before that, I just need to work it out a little better first.

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You do what you want of course... but regreasing the motor is not that difficult.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It may not be that difficult, but I don't want it to not work when I need it to, I want reliabilty. That and I like making things/ coming up with things that work better that they originally did. I like to challenge my self, that is the word I was thinking of.

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
To me the solution is to carry a second working motor. But I'm just about positive my motor will never fail me again. The reason for its failure is basically cheap grease in small quantities with too high a preload on the spinning shaft. The heat dries out the grease then the shaft wedges itself so it can't spin. Use better grease in higher quantities and heat the metal around the set screw until you can turn it out a half turn. I've had to do the same in early BMW motors and those have never failed me since.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Another question I have is.. In the wireing at the shift motor, there are two wires that go to a sensor looking think of some sort, it is platic with a metal shaft coming out of it that sticks into the t-case. If I remove the shift motor, do I need to cut the wires going to that, and put the thing back into the whole, or can I just cover the hole real well with plastic and a couple zip ties? So I guess, would it be a bad idea to cut the wires, or to stick it back in without any wires going to it?

That is about as good as I can describe it.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if you dont plan on using this case as electric shift anymore (eg. your "converting" it to manual shift) then just cut the wires and leave it be. you dont want to remove the plug (i dont remember if thats even possible) because you'll allow contamination into the case.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wow, thanks for the fats reply.

I don't plan on converting yet, just for today.. The motor quit working a while ago, but today I may need the 4wd and I don't really have time to rebuild the motor (I want to take my time and do it right) so I was just going to turn the shaft manually for today.

So I Should cut the wires that go to it and then just solder them back together later, there is no problem with that is there?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
So I Should cut the wires that go to it and then just solder them back together later, there is no problem with that is there?
thats what i did the 3-4 times i pulled my shift motor off. just make sure you use heat shrink over the connections so they are water proof.

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just remove the red plug in the middle of the electrical connector and then pull the two wires out in their entirety? Didn't you do that to remove the middle ground wire? There is no reason to have to resolder anything later. If you have the square connector, I'm sure there is a similar method for removal. You could cover the wires with electrical/duct tape if you don't have heat shrink.

dogboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I tried that briefly, I am just thinking I will cut the wires. But I will go out and try to remove them from the connector agian.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals