• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD/Clutch issue..97 X Cab 4.0

85spraybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,ive searched and looked and i cant find any help for the issue im having with my truck. Ill start by giving the info of the truck.
97 X Cab 4.0 5spd 4WD 6" Rough Country Lift with 33x12.50s,3.73 gears with welded front rear,new clutch 1 month ago.Also has warn hubs.
Anyways,i am having an issue with the 4WD. When i put the truck in 4WD and drive it seems weird,it feels like the brakes are stuck on or something. I was attempting to pull a buddys dakota out of a mud pit and i couldnt pull him out,when i would try to pull it felt like it was starting to burn the clutch and i could smell it.I've had other lifted rangers like this before that were stick and ive NEVER had this problem before.
Would it have anything to do with the fact that the truck still has a 2 piece driveshaft in the rear? i was doubting that because the problem only seems to occur when using 4WD.
Basically,any time i try to use the 4wd i really have to rev the snot out of it to actually get it to move.
If anyone has any suggestions or advice i would really appreciate it.

chandymanusa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to sound like a smart (a ) but think about what you said it only does.it in 4 wheel drive so that would elinmate the clutch issue. I would pull front drive shaft put it in 4 wheel and this will check out transfer case. If no issues then you know its in front drive line. Just my 2cents.worth. GoodI luck have great day.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You say you welded up the spider gears in the front differential. Are you sure that is the only thing you welded together in there?

85spraybomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Well i knew the previous owner and i was there when he did this and thats the only thing he welded together.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals