• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4WD & 4WD Low Dash Light Issue

jcronce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,

I have a 1996 Ford Ranger STX with a manual transmission, manual locking hubs, 4.0 liter, 6 cylinder. When engaging 4WD high, both the 4WD and 4WD Low lights on the dash illuminate. I don't see any loose or broken wires on the transfer case. Any suggestions where I should look to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Those lights are grounded by the control 4x4 module. There is some info in our tech articles for troubleshooting that. But before going too wild with that, I would shift it back a ND forth a bunch if times and see if it starts working. Make sure you are in neutral and vehicle not moving. Often, these don't get shifted as often as they should. So the motor gets to where it doesn't want to work properly or the switch contacts in the motor assembly get dirty or corroded so they can't tell the control module what position everything is in. Do you notice the 4x4 lights flashing at all? Sometimes they flash to tell you of a problem. The motor is fairly easy to open up to clean its switch contacts and lubricate the worm gear.

And;

jcronce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. Your comment on shifting the manual lever back and forth was the key. I've noticed that the lever has been stiff recently. Therefore, I used WD40 on the linkage next to the transfer case and all is back to normal. It was odd that the indicator lights were not flashing. They both illuminated upon engaging 4 high with no malfunctions with 4 wheel drive engaging.

Thanks again,

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have a manual transfer case?
So a "twin stick", manual trans/manual transfer case

There is a 2 wire switch on the transfer case that Grounds each 4x4 light, as said above both 4WD lights get 12v with key on, then each light is grounded to turn it on

Image here of shifter and front 1/2 of transfer case: https://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/drivetrain-tech-37/91888d1501275241-what-all-do-i-need-change-over-manual-transfer-case-my-4wd-p10100042.jpg

You can see the vent hose nipple then above that the plug in for the light switch, its a plunger type switch that sits on a cam inside transfer case, plunger is pushed up and down as you change selection
This would be the issue, spraying the linkage with lube probably didn't fix it, but may be a wire is bare and no longer grounding when shifting????

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Glad you got it.

:icon_thumby:

(I assumed you were talking about an electric shift transfer case)

jcronce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks again, Sorry I wasn't clear on initial description regarding the transfer case.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals