• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R55E to 5R55E swap working?

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
1)the year of your truck?
1996 ranger Extended cab

2)What engine?
4.0 l

3)Which transmission
I belive its the 4r55e

4)2wd or 4x4?
4x4

4-a) if it's a 4x4 is the T-case Manual or Electronically shifted?
electric

I Have a 96 ranger with what i belive is a blown 4r55e( i can check trans code tommorow) I have pulled a full trand from a explorer (includes started flexplate and torque convertor. I have researched and found that the trans can supposedly bolt rite up into where my old trans was. However there will be extra sensors but i dont need to use them. I have also read that you need to switch the valve body or epc ( i would rather switch the epc because puting a blown transmission valve body into a good trans doesnt sound to good to me.) I have also found out that this trans is much stronger then the 4r is.

So :icon_twisted: :icon_confused:

Basicly i need to know for sure
1) will this fit and work
2) can i use my 4r55e's transfer case
3)can i just switch my epc to make this work
4)Will the overdrive work corretly in my 96
5) will the gear ratios that are driven with overdrive work correctly

I have some info from people here http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222466
( i hope i can post that) but i want more info.

I am really hoping that this will work, and work correctly. I have spent about a day pulling the trans and realy want to have a drivable ranger. I bought my truck for 650 with the blown trans, a new motor put in 30k ago, 31's, 3.73's,and limiited slip.
If this wont work how hard is a 5 speed standard swap?
If all else fails ill have the 4r55e rebuilt..... :annoyed:
Thank you in advance :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
As far as i know everything will bolt up and fit correctly. Im pretty sure the PCM's are going to be different and your shifts may be off. Im going to have to go dig into the trans control schematics on fmcdealer and see what the strategies are. So far it looks like the plug for the EPC and the EPC itself is different. I would absolutly not put a valve body from a blown trans in the good trans. Not without complete dissassembly and inspection of all the spool valves and check balls.

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you. I would really appreciate you checking that for me

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i asked tech suport on the hotline and really they had no answer, they told me at ford it would shift improperly due to different sensor output signals. doesnt mean it wont work but i really dont know how to do it.

04 EDGE

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4r55e, 4 speed
5r55e, 5 speed

it wont work, not a "bolt in" swap

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I've done A LOT of research into this swap and have come to the conclusion that it will work just fine. The 2 trannys are similar internally and main differances are increased torque capacity for the 55E vs the 44E.

Before people start jumping on the fact that one is a 4 speed and the other is a 5 speed, they should have a good look at how the " 5th " gear is achieved. It's in the PCM. PCM commands the O/D band on in 1st to split the 1- 2 shift. So "2nd" is now 3rd and "3rd" is now 4th and so on.

You will not have a 5 speed when you're done.

racinranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That must be why they said it wont work. I was almost positive that it would bolt up but shift improperly like i said above. I looked around at how the shifts were acheived and thats why tech suport said that it would shift to 5th because the pcm lacks the proper programing. Now here's the thing would a custom chip/reflash fix this little setback if you could find somone to do the tuning?

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So what would i have for gear ratioswithout the od? id imagine lower until like 3rd or something? i have a 5r thats going into my ranger and i want to kmnow aht to expect. Also Bent bolt can you tell me what you have learned about this. I need to know all that i can.thanks

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The 5R will shift the same as your 4R will. You will still have O/D gear same as the 4R. When you start comparing spec's, the 4R would shift 1-2-3-4. The 5R would shift 1-2-3-4-5 but in reality the 5R 3-4-5 gears are IDENTICAL to the 4R 2-3-4 gears. In fact, the early 5R's would shift 1-3-4-5 under part throttle and would shift 1-2-3-4-5 on hard throttle.

5R gets it's 2nd gear by overdriving 1st gear. Other than that, the gears ( and ratios ) are the same between the trannys.

Follow ??

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The second gear( which only works under heavy acceleration)is computer controlled as far as i know you will only have 4 gears instead of 5..the valve bodies are the same its all controlled my computer strategy. Second gear in the 5R is 1st gear being overdriven(OD)...this tranny is capable of 6 speeds forward and 2 reverse.

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wow okay. It sounds as if this will work really well. Im really excited about this now. It should be going in in the next few days. However im not sure if i need to switch the EPC solenoid. So do i need to switch it? a guy on another forum siad it was different so you take the one from the 4r and put it in the 5r. Do you know about this?

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The 95 and 96 do have a different EPC solenoid according to Ford specs. However, aftermarket supplies the 97 up solenoid for all applications. I have personally confirmed that it does work. IF you do take the pan off, take a T-25 screwdriver and give the screw a 1/4 turn clockwise on the EPC solenoid. That bumps up the line pressure a wee bit and the trans will work better IMHO. Up to you if you want to do that though.

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am going to bump up the pressure seeing as i need to pull the pan any way. ( it was a junkyard trans and has a big hole in it) I also found out that its a 98 trans. I actualy just finished puting a trans into my 70 chevy tonight so tommorow i will finish that( trans fluid and oil change) and get it off my lift. Then the ranger begins. Is there a checklist that i should make sure is done before i start putting the trans in? it seems pretty straight forward. thanks for all the great info btw

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well the trans is in as of yesterday. I need toout in fluid and i will see if it works tonight.... this will be the final answer for me eh???

wish me luck...................

96RedRanger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Okay well i did it. It works very good. The only thing i needed to switch was the neutral safety switch. every thing else bolts up for those who want to know. i have it working in my truck. the 5r55e works in place of a 4r55e

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals