• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4r55e to 5r55e swap. Latest year that will work

timmyflew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Minor T Bar Crank, Stock Rear
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
I have a 2002 FX4 4.0 Automatic 4R55E. Will all 5R55E transmissions hookup without modification. Wanting to find the newest, lowest mileage transmission possible to replace mine when it
goes, again.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 1998(some 1997) and up 4.0l OHV or SOHC used the 5R55E

But you do need to use a 2001 to 2011 5R55E in a 2002 because they have the added ISS external sensor above the shifter

So you are fine to use latest model you can find, but from a Ranger 4.0l or Mazda B4000, and 4x4, 2wd trans can not be converted

5R55N, S or W don't have dipsticks so are a pain to service, in case it comes up, lol

Last edited:

timmyflew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Minor T Bar Crank, Stock Rear
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
The 1998(some 1997) and up 4.0l OHV or SOHC used the 5R55E

But you do need to use a 2001 to 2011 5R55E in a 2002 because they have the added ISS external sensor above the shifter

So you are fine to use latest model you can find, but from a Ranger 4.0l or Mazda B4000, and 4x4, 2wd trans can not be converted

5R55N, S or W don't have dipsticks so are a pain to service, in case it comes up, lol
Thanks man. That's what I wanted to hear.

Blueeyeseskimo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000LE
Transmission
Automatic
Hello from Nome, Ak. I have a 1995 Mazda b4000le 4wd. With the 4r55e tranny. My cousin has a 03. Explorer sport trac. With a 5r55e 4wd. My transmission popped while I put it in reverse and now the reverse gear and 3-4 are gone. Will his 5r55e work as I cannot find a transmission in town or acquire a cheap donor case

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

If the explorer also has a 4.0l engine it will work/fit, if not then no

The 4R55E and 5R55E are internally the same transmission with same solenoids, the 5th gear was done by computer software activating OD while still in 1st gear to get a split ratio faux 2nd gear
So the 5R55E will operate as a 4speed same as 4R55E does

There will be 2 extra sensors on the 5R one just above shifter, it doesn't need to be used on a 1995, and one at the rear drivers side for output shaft speed, also not needed in 1995
Your speed info comes from 1995 transfer case VSS sensor

I think you will need to use your 1995 DTR sensor, its on the shifter shaft of trans, not sure if the 2003 will be wired the same, but have a look

If this is your first automatic install one important step to NEVER forget is to install the torque converter inside the bellhousing FIRST, and get it fully seated into the pump and input shaft, spin it and push in, it will slide back farther 2 times as it seats on pump and shaft
Then you can install trans to engine block

Bell housing should go flush to block, NO FORCING them together using bolts, you WILL break the pump and that will be the end of that transmission

Last edited:

Blueeyeseskimo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000LE
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

If the explorer also has a 4.0l engine it will work/fit, if not then no

The 4R55E and 5R55E are internally the same transmission with same solenoids, the 5th gear was done by computer software activating OD while still in 1st gear to get a split ratio faux 2nd gear
So the 5R55E will operate as a 4speed same as 4R55E does

There will be 2 extra sensors on the 5R one just above shifter, it doesn't need to be used on a 1995, and one at the rear drivers side for output shaft speed, also not needed in 1995
Your speed info comes from 1995 transfer case VSS sensor

I think you will need to use your 1995 DTR sensor, its on the shifter shaft of trans, not sure if the 2003 will be wired the same, but have a look

If this is your first automatic install one important step to NEVER forget is to install the torque converter inside the bellhousing FIRST, and get it fully seated into the pump and input shaft, spin it and push in, it will slide back farther 2 times as it seats on pump and shaft
Then you can install trans to engine block

Bell housing should go flush to block, NO FORCING them together using bolts, you WILL break the pump and that will be the end of that transmission
Yay! Thank you for the information. That saves me lots of money and thanks for everything you guys do here on The Ranger Station!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals