• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4r44e Wiring Question

Kl1246

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
TLDR: What does the 2 wire connector in the picture go to and how much will it suck to reconnect it??

I have a 150K+ miles 1996 Ford Ranger, Automatic and I've had issues with the transmission. I only paid $1000 for the whole truck so a rebuild kinda ruins my investment costs. I am trying to see if I can solve it on my own. I dropped the pan with plans to replace the solenoids (It's throwing a TCC Error Code P0743) and I found my wiring harness was stripped almost completely bare (see pictures). I am hoping this is what is causing my transmission issues (slipping going into 3rd, and recently just dies when I put it in gear) but more so it's a cheap part to fix and I always start with the cheap stuff.

My problem here is not the hardness, that's a $35 part and it's already ordered, the problem is the tiny 2 wire connector that connects in the same ring as the solenoid harness. (Picture attached) The damn thing had 2 wires going off into some hole behind everything and I can't figure out what the hell it went to. I REALLY don't want to start tearing the valve body out and ripping my transmission apart just to learn it controls something stupid.

Please let me know if you know what this connector is for and how much of a pain it'll be to reconnect. It's hard to tell in the picture but the colors are a dark red or dark orange and solid white.

I'm also open to opinions on rather you think replacing this harness will help solve my transmission issues. Everyone talks about an Overdrive light, mine has never come on, but it's possible it burned out like the check engine light.

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Did you cut those wires? And are you asking how hard it will be to reconnect them to the other cut ends? Without seeing the ends you need to connect them to and how much wire you have to work with, it’s pretty hard to tell.

The best repair, other than complete replacement, would be to strip them back, twist together, solder and cover with heat shrink. But if the other ends are cut short, that will be difficult, to say the least.

Concerning what that connector goes to, I’m sure it isn’t “something stupid”. They don’t tend to put frivolous nonsense inside transmissions.

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Mystery plug it for the turbine shaft speed sensor. Unfortunately the transmission has to come out and be partially disassembled to replace. Transmission will not function properly without it. Wish I had better news for you.
Brad
4A25F824-7E23-422B-9D4D-8F5E488D8A2C.jpeg7F8A542F-B8C4-4E34-BD44-F48F2A905A70.jpeg0872C309-1E0A-4AA2-90C5-A8D0AA62EC0B.jpeg

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
It’s good to have a transman around.

Kl1246

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ouch. I had a feeling it was going to be bad. Can you point me toward a good DIY for dropping the transmission?

While I’m asking you questions, you think the wiring harness and solenoids will fix the issue or while I have it out should I just replace/rebuild it?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals