• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4r44e to MD05 swap, need wiring help

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I have gotten most of the hard stuff done on my manual trans swap in my 3.0 '97 Ranger and am down to the wiring part. I forgot to print out diagrams at work so now I am stuck looking for them online, but to no avail.

I just need to know what wires I can splice together to get her to start until I can either remake the factory auto harness, or find a manual harness from a u-pull-it.

I found This Wiring Diagram that makes the NSS look like a series of resistors that cant just be bypassed.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
There are diagrams in the tech library.

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
If I was installing a radio, that advise would be great, because that's the only diagram I can find in the Tech Library.

Good job doing nothing but raising your post count.

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
For anyone who needs these diagrams as well here they are.

And Here is the transfer case circuit for good measure if anyone needs that too.

They are pretty low quality, but can get the job done.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'll attempt to answer this based on the 2000 schematics. Your wire colors may be different.

To enable shift into 4 Lo, you'll need the (DTRS connector wire) RD/WH connected to ground.

For cruise control, reverse lamps and starter engagement, you have two options.

Best option is to simply get a manual transmission harness from a junkyard donor. That will get you proper connectors for the reverse lights switch (which you should install).

If that is not your plan,
simply jumper the RD/LG and TN/LB wires to enable cruise control. The Brake pedal switch will turn off cruise, but the clutch pedal won't. I see that as a problem.

For reverse lights, connect the VT/OG and BK/PK wires to the MO5D reverse switch (need a connector).

For starter engagement, you'll need to connect the PK wire to the TN/RD wire. Ideally, this would be coming through the clutch pedal position switch, which should connect once you remove the gray clutch pedal position jumper from under the dash.

There is also a GY/RD to LB/YE that the PCM needs to see when the clutch pedal is fully released. Again, remove the jumper and connect a clutch pedal switch!

Lastly, you either need a manual transmission PCM or have yours reflashed by a Ford dealer to the manual transmission program. Otherwise, you'll be getting a constant CEL because the automatic transmission it wants to see and control, isn't there.

Welcome to The Ranger Station (and leave your "attitude" at the door).

Rockstar04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info Earl43P. I already have the diagrams for my 97, I was just looking for the info over the weekend since the truck is in a different town so I cant work on it during the week.

As for the "attitude at the door remark", if you look at my join date and my post per day (0.01) you can tell I pretty much just leave the door shut, I tried being a nice guy on a different forum and just got screwed in the end, and judging by martin's post this forum would end the exact same way. Im not here to make friends, just get any info I can get from lurking.

Enemy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My apologies for digging up the dead, but this thread has been very helpful on a M5OD swap i just did in my 2000 4x4.
I have it all working like a factory manual as per Earls instruction, except for cruise control..
I am not seeing a RD/LG and TN/LB to jumper together on the DTRS plug.
Would it be possible for someone to list me the pin # these wires would be located if mine are a different color?
Or am I looking in the wrong place for these wires by chance?

Other than this, the manual swap has made this little 3.0 more bearable to drive! Gunna finally take down that Prius that kicks my ass at least once a week on my daily commute.

Yes I hate autos lol..
And Prius's..

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals