• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44E to A4LD

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I'm in the process of getting a '95 ranger 2wd with a 2.3 and a no tranny. Per the tech library it would have a 4R44E tranny. The previous owner couldn't find one and gave up and was going to junk the truck. This is where I came in the picture I went searching for a tranny today but the junk yard only had three 3rd gens. '93 '94, '95 all 2.3 2wd. The '93 was a 5 speed and the '95 was taken already. So I took the '94s with no way to ID the tranny on the spot I didn't study too well, oops. Anyway I got it home and looked it up and it's a A4LD can I still use it if I change the harness? What all needs to be done to use it or should I just take it back ( I got a 30 day warranty) and keep looking for a 4R44E. Thanks for the info ahead of time.

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
If it were me, I would take that trans back and start collecting parts to swap in an m50d as long as you don't mind driving a stick. Auto transmissions really suck the power and gas mileage out of 4cyl rangers.

Josh

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i agree. i don't have issues w/ my a4ld at all. but when its a 4banger, i'd say 5 speed it. now if that's not an option-- for simplicity sakes, i'd still take it back and find what goes in there... unless you're pretty certain you can't find one then just use the a4ld

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
I've seached there invatory they don't have what I need so I am stuck with this for now. What all do I need to use the tranny in place of the 4r44e. I thank I can do the wiring but what about shift linkage and the two lines runniing into the passenger side. Sorry I am clueless with this stuff.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i can't help you either...not on that.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The only way I could see this working is if you didn't hook up any of the electronics. You would have the first 3 gears working, but you won't have 4th gear and you won't have torque converter lockup. The computer will also throw a fit when it doesn't see the 4r44e there. You could swap in a computer for a manual trans though.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I ran my A4LD bone dry for about 6 months. Still shifts fine. :thefinger:

Personally though, I would take the A4LD back if you can, and wait on a 4R44E since it would be too much work to figure out the new trans.

Will the bellhousings even bolt up?

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't put an A4LD in the truck if you don't know the history. You'll be doing all this work again within a year most likely.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I wouldn't put an A4LD in the truck if you don't know the history. You'll be doing all this work again within a year most likely.
It's funny, 90% of the people who talk down on the auto trans don't own one.

Mine has well over 200k miles on it, and was ran dry for a few months a couple years ago when I didn't realize it was leaking. Finally figured out when it hesitated every time I stopped. :thefinger:

ranger_mclaren

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995/02
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3/2.0
Transmission
Automatic
Well I can't return the tranny for cash it's parts only. I must have missed that, anyways I've got 30 days to return it so hopefully the get in another '95. While I wait I'm gonna search around other places for one too, in which case I should find one and get it I'll exchange the a4ld for parts for my focus insted.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
It's funny, 90% of the people who talk down on the auto trans don't own one.

Mine has well over 200k miles on it, and was ran dry for a few months a couple years ago when I didn't realize it was leaking. Finally figured out when it hesitated every time I stopped. :thefinger:
I knew someone would say something like this. I own an automatic, AND a 5 speed truck. I'm in both worlds (much preferring the 5 speed because it absolutely DESTROYS automatics in the snow, nothing to do with longevity). Let me re quote my previous post. And read the bolded words this time.

Majority of junkyards have the engines and transmissions just tore out of the vehicle with no care taken, and then they sit outside in the weather. no one knows the previous maintenance history.

Last edited:

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I knew someone would say something like this. I own an automatic, AND a 5 speed truck. I'm in both worlds (much preferring the 5 speed because it absolutely DESTROYS automatics in the snow, nothing to do with longevity). Let me re quote my previous post. And read the bolded words this time.
Majority of junkyards have the engines and transmissions just tore out of the vehicle with no care taken, and then they sit outside in the weather. no one knows the previous maintenance history.
Only an idiot would buy a trans from a place like that, and you can easily tell most of the history from a brief inspection.

Only people who don't know how to control the pedals need to abuse their transmission to drive in the snow.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Only an idiot would buy a trans from a place like that.
Or someone who has no intention of putting it in their vehicle without rebuilding it first.

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Or someone who has no intention of putting it in their vehicle without rebuilding it first.
Even with a complete rebuild, I'd still want a housing with little to no rust/corrosion on the inside.

Although I did consider rebuilding the tranny from my dad's bronco, ended up scrapping it instead. Didn't feel comfortable rebuilding a trans that sat on a dirt floor in a garage for 20 years.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Only an idiot would buy a trans from a place like that, and you can easily tell most of the history from a brief inspection.

Only people who don't know how to control the pedals need to abuse their transmission to drive in the snow.
Who said I need to abuse my transmission to drive good in the snow? I can downshift with a 5 speed and almost completely eliminate the sliding that happens with most automatics, and not even need to pump my brakes. And I know how to rev match, so theres virtually no clutch wear. Plus I can rock the truck back and forth if I ever get stuck (**** auto hubs-glad i ditched them) and while it may wear on the clutch, it won't do nearly the damage that does to an Auto. i've dissected a few Autos that were rocked back and forth, probably longer than healthy but still...clutch plates welded together, drums warped, bands shot.

And where else am I suppose to buy a transmission? theres only one junkyard in my area, and not all of us have the money to have one shipped to the shop/house. I don't replace automatics on my own vehicles anyways so I won't have to deal with this. I throw in a 5 speed once the Autos totally dead. I'm not hating on Autos, everyone has a preference. And when I'm backing a loaded trailer up a steep hill i'm extremely glad I have an auto.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals