• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44E--Intermittent Slipping in 1st

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a 97 Ford Ranger 3.0 automatic (2wd), Transmission designator 'T', so 95% sure it's a 4R44E transmission.

Here's my issue: Every once in a while the transmission will seem to slip out of 1st gear (engine revs up as if in neutral, then transmission engages after a few seconds once I let off throttle). This happened when accelerating from dead stop, and accelerating after braking (under 10 mph) but not stopping completely. Problem has so far only occured when warm, but I've only driven it a couple of times since this problem started.

Fluid level is good and fluid seems clean, but I just recently bought the truck and the previous owner may have changed it.

Take this symptom with a grain of salt, but I've noticed a "whirring" sound when in reverse (intermittent as well). Sounds like a tiny jet taking off.

Just had it in the shop to get the ECM replaced, and they did not detect any transmission issues [they checked the fluid and a short test drive].

Any help/possible fixes would be greatly appreciated.

**to clarify, issue was present prior to (and after) ECM change, so I don't think it's a computer issue

Last edited:

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Exhibit A and B.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
There is a thread going with some common faults/fixes for these boxes.

Official 4R44E Problem Thread! | The Ranger Station

I had bought a truck years ago that had a 1 - 2 shift flare. I had a good box to go in it and just swapped it out. It also had 240K on it and bought it from a guy that still had a bill at the transmission shop I had to pick it up from. Made more sense to me just to put a low mileage box in it and be done.

For the video... I didn't get much from that. But if it's ready to shift into second... and the engine flares up... it is not the rear differential.

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't think the flare is between 1st and 2nd--when you see the RPMs drop in the video, that is from me letting off the throttle and then reapplying. Once I let off, the transmission shifts into 2nd and re-engages. Since the slip happens so early (1800-2000rpm) it feels more to me like it's just slipping in 1st rather than a bad shift.
Of course, others know these trucks/transmissions better than I, so I'm all for a second opinion.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
We're saying the same thing...

When I say "flare"... I mean if you stayed on the throttle... the engine rpm's would increase... but you let off the throttle.

What happens if you accelerate hard? Does it continue to pull but won't shift?

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What happens if you accelerate hard? Does it continue to pull but won't shift?
Well I just took it on a 20 minute test drive to find out and... nothing. 1st would take all the abuse I could throw at it, cold and warm. Last night the issue occured with some regularity, now nothing.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm certainly no expert with automatics... maybe someone else will chime in.

Maybe @Transman304 has a little input here.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just had a shift kit put in my 176,000 mile 4R44. Man, night and day difference. You can definitely tell when it shifts now. I had my Mustang's 5r55 done first, and after I decided I liked it, had the Ranger done while getting 4.10 gears installed in the differential. They also found the spider gears really badly worn, even though I've changed the fluid twice in the 21 years I've owned it. Said there was a lot of slop in the gears. Gave them to me for inspection and said, "do not sell these to anyone or reuse them." LMAO! I wouldn't do something like that.

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm certainly no expert with automatics... maybe someone else will chime in.

Maybe @Transman304 has a little input here.
Thanks for the input regardless! I'm here to learn new things, and that invloves what in the heck a "flare" is 😁

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Seeing as I just drove for almost 30mins trouble free, I guess I can only monitor it for now. The truck sat for about a year, so I suppose it's possible some fluid passage in the transmission became clogged with gunk and is (or God willing has 🤞) clearing itself. Probably just wishful thinking, but at least it's seeming not catastrophic.
As for the differential--I live in Wisconsin and am going to school in Pennsylvania. The Open 7.5"er in there right now ain't gonna cut it, so I'm hoping to save up enough change to switch it out for an 8.8 L/S in the coming months. Of course a toasted trans isn't going to help that, but the truck's only got 71k on the odo--I wouldn't expect the transmission to be bad other than possibly some bad gaskets. The owner did say he lent the truck out quite a bit, and that it did some towing, so I could be dead wrong. But there's always hoping.
What'd the shift kit run you? Is it just new solenoids, or an entirely different valve body?

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Could these issues be caused by a leak/faulty gasket(s)? The transmission pan is quite wet, and though it's not doing the flare thing so far, I think I am smelling ATF. Hot ATF 🔥🔥🥵

100Timelord

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Update as of 6/22: Looks like the transmission pan is rusted through--basically, slowly turning into a sponge and letting the fluid seep through. This could be causing fluid pressure issues, owing to the slipping I experienced for a few days and the intermittent whirring transmission in reverse. The pan and pan gasket are going to be replaced, and I will update after that.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
There was also a TSB issued that released a new valve body gasket to a new design. I think there were issues with the original gasket failing and causing shifting issues due to leakage.

I'm not sure this could be part of your issue but maybe... do a little research before you pull the pan. It's better to do the valve body gasket when the pan is off the first time.

There really is no fluid pressure in the pan... so I'm not sure that is causing your problem. If the pan leaked enough to make the fluid low... it could cause the problem though. But a leaky pan or gasket is most likely not the cause.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals