• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4R44E (Door Code "T") - Let's make this a 5R44E please... [Magic Happened!]

Fredness

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, be it 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E or 5R55E, the are all "E": Electronically Shifted via Solenoids via the PCM.
A "Shift Kit" doesn't change programming, only increases Boost Regulator/EPC Pressure and larger holes make the shifts bleed down quicker to reduce "slip".

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
On the 2001+ thats only true if you disable adaptive shift control. With the shift kit installed on a 2001 the computer will just see the increase in pressure and reduce it back to where it wants it by modulating the solenoids.

Also i made a video of the second gear nonsense to show the parameters required for the computer to engage it. Im trying to figure out how to edit it down since its an hour long video of me making a million trips around an abandoned track.

Fredness

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I want to go to an abandoned track!

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Lol. Come to new jersey.... there's abandoned everything here. Still working on making a video from the data logs.

In a nutshell it is exactly as it says in the ATSG manual. No second unless the ecu sees over 80% engine load in first gear, WOT, or 80% engine load below (i forget the speed) while in third. Second gear needs some more than gentle driving to engage. In my opinion if your doing what it took me to engage second gear alot, the 5r trans is too weak for your driving style... drive it like its a little pickup, you dont see second.

Everything ive done to my 5r44e was to keep it lasting longer. Not for performance. Adaptive shift slows shifts and creates heat for the sake of smoothness. Delete it and add the shift kit you get hard shifts but cooler temps. Add a second cooler, again for longevity. I just do not see this in anyway as a performance trans in the slightest.

I also showed in my log how turning off the OD saves gas. Its absolutely insane how early it will engage overdrive. And if you're not on the highway your killing gas mileage by being in OD trying put around at 35mph in 5th. It just does not dowshift out of 5th fast enough. So you end up at 30-35 in 5th working the motor hard to accelerate.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Also i want to point out i have a 2.3. The specs are NOT engine specific. So the 4.0 sohc would take even more "enthusiasm" to engage second. The 3.0 may be a little less since the 2.3 dohc actually makes more power. These specs are universal according to the ATSG for all engines and gear ratios since its a power thing. Low power engine will use it faster, high power less, same with gear or weight. But the actual programming is identical. It looks at engine load not size, weight, or gearing.

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
So what you’re telling me is that my ‘01 almost always used second gear... I treated that throttle pedal like an on-off switch.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Sure. I see you used past tense.... where's that transmission now.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I drove the Ranger to work today, and on the way home at the usual spot I ran it up through the gears. It ran through all 5 gears, shifting at about 4k, and then dropped into lockup after I let up. And your 2.3 does not make as much power as my 3.0 (154 vs. 143), nor anywhere close to as much torque.

My 5R44E is flawless at 132k miles.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Im not trying to argue the existence or function of the second gear. Im simply trying to say it is not a direct function of the transmission as it was built. Its use is limited, and for a reason. Its NOT a strong transmission. The extra load on the OD drum was calculated by ford and is why its only used "sometimes". It does fill a gap when neccessary. But in average use its not there. The 44 and 55 have different od drums just for the slight power increase from the 2.3 to 4.0. Think about that. They were so cheap they made different parts for an extra 30 ft pounds. Its an "adequate" transmission. Unlike the c6 that could handle basically anything small block or big block. The ranger NEVER got a good automatic until 2019.

I have torn my 5r44e apart and upgraded everything i could. But i have an m5od waiting when it dies. Because it will long before my duratec.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Im not trying to argue the existence or function of the second gear. Im simply trying to say it is not a direct function of the transmission as it was built. Its use is limited, and for a reason. Its NOT a strong transmission. The extra load on the OD drum was calculated by ford and is why its only used "sometimes". It does fill a gap when neccessary. But in average use its not there. The 44 and 55 have different od drums just for the slight power increase from the 2.3 to 4.0. Think about that. They were so cheap they made different parts for an extra 30 ft pounds. Its an "adequate" transmission. Unlike the c6 that could handle basically anything small block or big block. The ranger NEVER got a good automatic until 2019.

I have torn my 5r44e apart and upgraded everything i could. But i have an m5od waiting when it dies. Because it will long before my duratec.
Well, my Ranger's 5R44E is the only automatic I've actually liked that I can remember. The thing shifts really well, and I don't care when or if it uses 2nd, as the shift strategy is excellent as-is. It's perfectly matched to the engine.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Sure. I see you used past tense.... where's that transmission now.
I sold that truck to a guy (Michael Jordan... but not the famous one.) around the corner from me back in 2015. I still see it a few times a week.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well, my Ranger's 5R44E is the only automatic I've actually liked that I can remember. The thing shifts really well, and I don't care when or if it uses 2nd, as the shift strategy is excellent as-is. It's perfectly matched to the engine.
Yea its a good smooth transmission. Put a temp gauge on it and you will be shocked. It runs hot as hell. Even an aftermarket cooler only drops it so much. Mine with the shift kit, adaptive out the window, and external cooler runs about 180 with a load in dead of summer. Before i did that, i can't tell but my fluid was burnt and nasty after a few trips through the mountains.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Yea its a good smooth transmission. Put a temp gauge on it and you will be shocked. It runs hot as hell. Even an aftermarket cooler only drops it so much. Mine with the shift kit, adaptive out the window, and external cooler runs about 180 with a load in dead of summer. Before i did that, i can't tell but my fluid was burnt and nasty after a few trips through the mountains.
Strange, my fluid is never discolored. The area around here is quite hilly and while I don't abuse it I do move along pretty well. Mine has a decently sized aux cooler in addition to the one built into the radiator - I think it is stock.

The thing is my world is filled with things that need to be fixed, and this gearbox works great so it's not on my list.

Fredness

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think that has to do with the thermal bypass circuit in the VB. Since doing the SONNAX mods, shift kit and external filter the fluid has been super clean and "fresh" smelling.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals