• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4bt Ranger

Joeink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hello I am trying to do a ranger 4bt rebuild. I have a 4bt and a nv4500 tranny out of a dodge 2500. I am thinking about putting my 1979 ford 150 front and rear axles. what is it going to take to make this happen. will the axles be a good match? will the factory radiator work on the engine?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
What year Ranger?

Joeink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am still shopping for the ranger. I am thinking early 90s. Or what year would be the best? I am doing this as a budget build.

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
I am still shopping for the ranger. I am thinking early 90s. Or what year would be the best? I am doing this as a budget build.
I'd go with the 93-94 rangers with a worn out 4.0l in it. I heard it's easier to do a engine, transmission, and axle swap on those years of rangers. I even considered having one in mine...

Go to youtube and type in 1993 ford ranger cummins. It sounds freakin awesome!

Not only are you gonna have to swap axles and transmission, but your gonna have to beef up your suspension and also add a body lift to give more room to put a big engine like that under your hood. That body lift is gonna give you room to do this. There are so many things you gotta do to make it run good and smooth. My uncle did it in a Suzuki samurai and it took a long time to get every thing up and going.

Best of luck to you sir

Joeink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I plan on doing a 3" body lift. It shouldn't take to long to make the truck run, the 4bt is a mechanical engine it only needs a wire to the started and fuel to the engine. Now getting the cluster to work might take some time. Does anyone know how much wider the 79 f150 axles are to the stock ranger axles?

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
I plan on doing a 3" body lift. It shouldn't take to long to make the truck run, the 4bt is a mechanical engine it only needs a wire to the started and fuel to the engine. Now getting the cluster to work might take some time. Does anyone know how much wider the 79 f150 axles are to the stock ranger axles?
It doesn't take long to drop the engine into it with the transmission. Just make sure you get the body lift on first before you do anything. Wiring is gonna be a treat tho. make sure you wire the right wire because there has been cases that one wire connected to the wrong wire could burst your truck in flames.

Do a lot of research. When we did the Suzuki, we added a bigger radiator because it didn't match the new engine. The axles WILL be wider because they have obviously been from a bigger truck. They could fit if you do some modifying to the shackes mounted to the shocks to the axle. I am not sure, but I think you have to get a different transfer case and different driveshaft due to different axle.

Other than that, They are a pretty easy swap. Depending on how much knowledge you have doing this, you shouldn't have a problem. If you have any other questions, just ask us or ask someone who knows how to do this

P.S. Welcome to TRS!

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The 4.0L rad is more then enough for a 4bt.
You'll need at least a 2" body lift. More if you run a top mount turbo.

Wiring is a joke. If you have a VE pump, you only NEED power to the pump and KSB (same wire), the starter and alt.

The d35/8.8 would hold up to a stock 4bt.

If your doing an SAS, cut the engine crossmember out and build one to fit around the oil pan. If not,you'll have to cut and modify the pan.

matticus420

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh how i wish i can do this to my ranger.... :,(
I don't have enough cash flow for that
but if i did my good friend of mine is a diesel mechanic
He told me if i ever did this he would service my truck anytime
for a 12 pck of beer lol

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
Oh how i wish i can do this to my ranger.... :,(
I don't have enough cash flow for that
but if i did my good friend of mine is a diesel mechanic
He told me if i ever did this he would service my truck anytime
for a 12 pck of beer lol
fair trade lol

Cummins_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
stick to coils/coil over set up out front...leaf set up leaves no room (for anything!) lol. That is where I hit my SAS snag. Soon to be resolved

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
stick to coils/coil over set up out front...leaf set up leaves no room (for anything!) lol. That is where I hit my SAS snag. Soon to be resolved
What do you need Dave? I got 3 D44s, 4 sets of full size radius arms, and a few sets of coil springs.

Joeink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
is there anything else I am really going to need to do to the ranger that will be a big ticket items? Is there a motor mount that will work or do I need to make my own? I am just trying to pick everyones brain. I am able to do all the work I used to work in a hotrod shop. but now I do private jets.

Cummins_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is there anything else I am really going to need to do to the ranger that will be a big ticket items? Is there a motor mount that will work or do I need to make my own? I am just trying to pick everyones brain. I am able to do all the work I used to work in a hotrod shop. but now I do private jets.
I would use the isolators that came with the engine,I tried using pancake style Mack trans mounts and I destroyed 2 sets from the torque twisting the engine. Just watch the clearance of everything, even with a 2" BL I still had to bash in my trans tunnel to fit the M5...seeing as your going bigger you may need to figure out a way around it. (pan was about 0.25" from the stock tab cross member)

What do you need Dave? I got 3 D44s, 4 sets of full size radius arms, and a few sets of coil springs.
truck is going on a little vacation, update ya soon :icon_thumby:

Joeink

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
on the front coil springs would I be able to use the 79 f150 coil springs or would I have to do some mods on the upper arm on the ranger? if I use the front axles will I be able to hook up to the steering box easily or do I need to do mods there too?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals