• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

49-410-8 Cam Upgrade 93 Ranger XLT 4.0 OHV

Angry Possum

No Fat Chicks, Truck Will Scrape
Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Sometimes you eat the bear, sometimes the bear eats you.
Is this upgrade cam easy to do on my 93 Ranger XLT 4.0 OHV? I have intermediate mechanical experience.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You have to tear a lot of the engine down to install a cam. The times I have changed a camshaft, I was greeted with limited results. You can't go to radical or the computer will not be happy.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I doubt you can remove the cam with the engine in place. At least on the SLA trucks, the core support goes straight up in the center up front.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Thanks, I'm gonna pass on this mod. I checked out some videos on youtube, it ain't happening.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Clarification on my previous post.. I've pulled the cam out of my 302 swap twice with the engine installed. But both ways I've tried are a pain.
Option 1: unbolt the cab mounts and crank up the cab high enough to slide the cam out under the front of the body/over the bumper.

Option 2: cut the core support and it'll come straight out as long as the radiator and condenser are already gone

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would not try it in the vehicle. I know the lifters will not come out without removing the heads. So doing it on an engine stand would be ideal... besides, those cams are ground on a smaller base circle so a pushrod change would in order. Otherwise the valve train geometry will be out of wack. I had Camcraft grind a custom cam for my 4.0 which required new pushrods. The 4.0 has goofy rocker arms that are un-adjustable and quite often wear out in the pushrod sockets. Not many options in the valvetrain.

Had I to do it over again I would have bought a new set of HD heads and had the ported along with the intake. I think that would have been a better bang for the buck.

I do highly recommend ARP head studs!!!! There isn't a set specifically for the 4.0 but is you get 2 sets for the Ford Pinto 2000CC pn#1514201 you'll be great.
I know for 100% certainity these work becasue they are on my 4.0 right now. I have not blown head gasket since their install and I've boiled it over a few time on the trail because my fans failed.

Angry Possum

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT SC
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235 75 15
My credo
Yeah I'm not attempting it.

rhekman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
I would not try it in the vehicle. I know the lifters will not come out without removing the heads. So doing it on an engine stand would be ideal... besides, those cams are ground on a smaller base circle so a pushrod change would in order. Otherwise the valve train geometry will be out of wack. I had Camcraft grind a custom cam for my 4.0 which required new pushrods. The 4.0 has goofy rocker arms that are un-adjustable and quite often wear out in the pushrod sockets. Not many options in the valvetrain.

Had I to do it over again I would have bought a new set of HD heads and had the ported along with the intake. I think that would have been a better bang for the buck.
I sympathize with OP not wanting to bother replacing the cam.

I have installed the COMP 410-8 Cam in my '95 4.0 OHV. So I can contribute a few notes for anyone reading this thread after the fact.

1. Worth it?
The 410 cam is pretty mild, and the stock computer can deal with it just fine. Without a tune or accompanying mods, it's hard to tell any difference in performance. If you're already that far into the motor for other things, have $300 to spend, and plan on future mods, it doesn't hurt.

2. Remove the engine?
I installed the cam while the engine was out for rebuild. As others have said, the lifters don't come out of a 4.0 OHV unless the heads come off. However the lifters don't need to come out completely to stab in a new bump-stick. If one is willing to remove radiator, intake, accessories, valve covers, it would technically be possible to leave the engine in the vehicle. It would be a COMPLETE pain in the ass however.

3. Pushrods?
Custom pushrods are not always required. Yes, with any new camshaft, measuring for pushrods should be done. However when I installed the 410 cam, I measured .019" preload on all the lifters once I installed new rockers and stock replacement pushrods.

4. New Heads?
If I had the money and was doing it all over again, I agree with evanesce69 and would have picked up a set of aftermarket HD cylinder heads. Yes it's polishing a turd, but I would like to have tried my hand at porting/polishing said turds to see what I can get out of the 4.slow.

5. Goofy valvetrain?
Yes. Yes it is. As much as I'd love to throw huge $$ after some roller rockers, the stock setup can be improved. I can confirm new Melling rocker arms have larger oil holes that feed the sockets and valve tips. Combined with a high-volume oil pump the top end can fair much better. If you want to make it as good as possible, get hardened pushrods and swap out the rock shaft springs with low friction spacers. Make sure the lifters have their full range of motion and are not seized/gummed up/plugged.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals