• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

.460 Rowland

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
Any talented gunsmiths out there? anyone know a talented gunsmith?

I love my Taurus 24/7 G@ .45 ACP and wouldn't give it up for some of the other .45 poly guns out there today (Springfield xd, S&w M&P, Glock, Sig, etc...) but i would like to convert it to .460 Rowland.

The Rowland round has nearly double the energy and velocity of the acp round. At 1300-1600 fps (depending on projectile weight and barrel length) is approaching magnum power levels but without the case length that usually accompanies magnum rounds. Even better, pistols chambered for .460 Rowland will also shoot .45ACP, +P, and .45 Super rounds as well.

It seems that 1911s are most comonly converted, but recently Glock, S&W M&P, and Springfield xd kits are starting to become more common. If the rest of these poly pistols can handle it, why can't the Taurus? I've seen the Taurus converted to .50AE, so i know it can handle the energy.

If anyone out there has any experience in this sort of thing don't be shy!

lone-wolf

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I guess this poster isn't relevant anymore

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know a guy that had a .500 S&W blow up in his hand. They eagerly took the gun back along with the factory loaded ammo he had been shooting, paid for his medical bills and gave him two .460's.

He is thinking the recoil set off more chambers than just what the hammer hit, that has been several years ago and recently on a tv show (American Guns) they mentioned concern for that happening with that caliber.

Always kinda made me leary of the big pistols. :fie:

Anyway, the point of this is that there are more things going on than just the pressures.

Last edited:

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
lone-wolf, the poster is still entirely relevant, .460 Rowland still shoots a .452" bullet down a .450" barrel. the case is longer, but the overall length is the same as a .45ACP.

85_Ranger4x4, I'm not a big fan of some of the sillier rounds out there like .50AE, but this is just a .45 with an extra 2-3 grains of powder behind it. the pressures are managed by fully supporting the chamber and the use of a compensator (or fluted barrel for California models) They've done their homework on this one. I've shot a couple of them and really like the way they shoot.

I'll treat this like any wildcat round.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals