• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

460 questions

Chris_97

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm currently in the process of doing a 351 swap in a 97 ranger and got to thinking if I'm doing a swap like this why not go bigger? I've built a few chevotas but am new to swapping fords. I have a few questions about a 460, such as steering shaft clearance and how to cool it enough to be a daily driver? I'd like some input from someone who's done the swap and if it's not too much harder than a 351 swap I might as well do it! the swap will be 4wd and the truck will have a 3" body lift

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
MRE (they have/had a book out on V-8 swaps) did a 460 swap and it entails extensive fabrication. New firewall, frame strengthening, new crossmembers. It would be quite a bit heavier than the 302/351. It could be done, but major work....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll leave this link here. On my computer it's not showing anything but a picture. It used to have a detailed pictorial and some instructions on how the owner did his swap using efi.

http://www.bigblockranger.com/

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Might think about doing a 351 stroker if you want more power that's a better fit with less fabrication.
Dave

Chris_97

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the replies guys. I have read the swap article dozens of times now and it's not the power I'm after I just want the uniqueness of having a BB in a ranger. there's tons of small blocks around here but no big blocks. I'm willing to put the effort into this swap

Chris_97

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
with that said could the firewall just be bent back? and what about the steering shafts clearance?

faststang90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
this is a fiber glass body on a custom chassis a guy I worked with did it had a 514 ci motor if I remember right. you can see how far back he set the motor so it would not be to heavy on the front.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with that said could the firewall just be bent back? and what about the steering shafts clearance?
You will probably have to go to a steering box outside the frame. I don't have a ton of room between the steering and my 302.

Probably going to lose A/C and heat too.

It is one of those things where there might be a reason you don't see many of that swap :dntknw:

My little 302 fits like a glove, easier to service than many factory engines in other cars/trucks.

Chris_97

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
yeah I was thinking about doing a Toyota box on the outside of the frame and I'm fine with no heat or a but I'd like to keep the power steering. and this will be more of a weekend mud truck than anything. could I make plate mounts like for a 302 swap or would i have to make custom ones?

Needsav8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
You could probably get the mounts out of the rig you pull the 460 out of and mod those to fit, but the flat plates won't work, the bolts on my 460 are at a different angle than the 302.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
what suspension and axle systems are on the table.?.?

that would be the biggest factor into what i would suggest. and if the stock stuff is on the table then i suggest not to use a big block unless its a stock horse power setup.

i daily drive what is essentially a big block ttb chassis in origination though it a modified leaf sprung straight axle these days and have swapped or participated in swaps mid and big blocks to the platform via most of the big three engines.

Chris_97

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it will be a stock 460 at first and I have a 79 bronco Dana 44 for the front and a 9 inch for the rear of it that will go on after the swap. it had the stock running gear and I was planning on using that till I SAS it

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
My guess is you'd need to SAS first otherwise you're going to fight the stock crossmember trying to make it fit

Chris_97

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
would I be able to get by with a 4" suspension lift? that's a lot cheaper than SAS and I'm trying to get the motor done ASAP as the 4.0 in it is going out and don't have a whole lot for extra money

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals