• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

460 Build Info

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
"Hot Rod" mag claims a bone stock 460 block can make upwards of 900 horsepower. OH momma

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
"Hot Rod" mag claims a bone stock 460 block can make upwards of 900 horsepower. OH momma
I'm sure the block would hold up but the parts to make 900 hp would punish your wallet.
Pics of intakes;
Edelbrock Streetmaster single plane lowrise
Weiand Stealth dual plane hirider
Stock 1968 dual plane lowrise

View attachment 75619View attachment 75619View attachment 75620View attachment 75632View attachment 75622View attachment 75623View attachment 75621
For what you're building, the stock cast iron lump is closest, the Stealth might be a little too big and hurt low end. There's a reason why the Street Master is no longer produced, it worked pretty good in the mid range but a Performer works better down low and at least as good through the mid range, a Performer RPM/Stealth style dual plane works better from the mid range on up.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd look at some heads off and EFI 460 also. The smaller oval intake ports are apt to help get the intake charge velocity up to aid cylinder filling at low revs. Huge ports are great for a high RPM screamer.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 460 EFI in my RV. I had the motor out several years ago and looked at if I could use the heads on a carbed motor. I can't really remember why, but I decided it wouldnt work. Iirc the intakes wont switch between carb and EFI.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Going to get my next project tomorrow. I might spend the night so I don't have to tow at night, but I'll try to get some cast numbers/revisions of the heads/block when I can.

Excited to start another one.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have a 460 EFI in my RV. I had the motor out several years ago and looked at if I could use the heads on a carbed motor. I can't really remember why, but I decided it wouldnt work. Iirc the intakes wont switch between carb and EFI.
You are correct, the stock carbed intake will not bolt onto a later engine with EFI heads. Or any 460 with EFI heads. But then you have this adapter.

And then this. https://www.pricemotorsport.com/html/body_ap-37_intake_adapter_plate.html

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Do you have to have fuel injection, will TBI work for the 460. Chevy placed TBI on the 454 for RV's P30 chassis?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I’m probably chiming in a little late, but…

My dad had an 89 F-350 dump with a 460 and an identical 94 F-350 with the 460. Both were EFI (I know, you are working with carb but hear me out). The 89 had an oil consumption problem from day 1. At 30k Ford rebuilt the engine. I never drove it until after the rebuild but it always had a bit of a lumpy idle and it would run circles around the 94. Like it would easily start out in third gear empty or under a half ton of load and start easily in second with a ton or so on. I also accidentally discovered it would light up the LS dually s if you let the clutch fly in first. A friendly chat with someone we knew at Ford seemed to indicate that in the late 80’s Ford experimented with putting RV cams and such in the 1-ton and larger trucks. So, an RV cam or something might be a worth investment.

The 94, which I now own, needs some work and I’ve been kicking around doing some tweaks to make it run more like the 89 did or better.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I’m probably chiming in a little late, but…

My dad had an 89 F-350 dump with a 460 and an identical 94 F-350 with the 460. Both were EFI (I know, you are working with carb but hear me out). The 89 had an oil consumption problem from day 1. At 30k Ford rebuilt the engine. I never drove it until after the rebuild but it always had a bit of a lumpy idle and it would run circles around the 94. Like it would easily start out in third gear empty or under a half ton of load and start easily in second with a ton or so on. I also accidentally discovered it would light up the LS dually s if you let the clutch fly in first. A friendly chat with someone we knew at Ford seemed to indicate that in the late 80’s Ford experimented with putting RV cams and such in the 1-ton and larger trucks. So, an RV cam or something might be a worth investment.

The 94, which I now own, needs some work and I’ve been kicking around doing some tweaks to make it run more like the 89 did or better.
Never too late to join the party.

I'm focusing on getting it running now so I can move it around.

I do think an RV style cam will be a good fit.

Engine build will likely be the last item on this list as long as I can get it to run and move.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Never too late to join the party.

I'm focusing on getting it running now so I can move it around.

I do think an RV style cam will be a good fit.

Engine build will likely be the last item on this list as long as I can get it to run and move.
I hear that, I keep getting delayed on getting the dump truck going, but as soon as I can get my green Ranger back up and going, I NEED to get the dump done. It got parked because the valve guides are shot. My intent, at present, is to throw a cam in it, new valve guides, maybe some light gasket match port work and headers. I want to fix the problem, wake it up a little, but not do a full rebuild or blow it up by doing too much without a full rebuild.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If compression checks out, this build becomes a lot simpler.

The way it ran last night I'm hopeful that it will all be ok. The spark plugs I pulled and checked had no business running, but they ran. With new ignition parts it will run even better.

I am thinking the list now becomes a straight up timing set (maybe a new cam), new intake manifold, possibly a new carb, and recurve of the distributor.

I believe that will do everything I want it to and give me a good running, long lasting engine.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
If compression checks out, this build becomes a lot simpler.

The way it ran last night I'm hopeful that it will all be ok. The spark plugs I pulled and checked had no business running, but they ran. With new ignition parts it will run even better.

I am thinking the list now becomes a straight up timing set (maybe a new cam), new intake manifold, possibly a new carb, and recurve of the distributor.

I believe that will do everything I want it to and give me a good running, long lasting engine.
For what it's worth, I think that that's a great plan, if the motor checks out as still healthy.

It sure would free up a lot more of your time and money, for the rest of the truck's restoration.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Coming back around to this...

From my research the 460 after the mid 70's was basically the same with some minor changes until the EFI version came out in 88.

Plan of attack is to have the engine block checked, probably have it bored to 0.030" over and have the crank checked and corrected as need be. I've been told you can install EFI pistons and get a small bump in compression because they have a smaller dish in the piston. From there a 3 angle valve job on my stock heads. I've looked into getting ported or aluminum heads, and I'm just not sure if the cost is worth it or if I even need that level of heads. I would like to keep it with mostly stock replacement parts.

Then I would like to install a cam and new spring setup, anyone have any suggestions? I can source a custom grind if need be. Was thinking something like this --> Xtreme 4x4 210/218 Hydraulic Flat Cam for Ford 429,460 (compcams.com) in addition to a straight up timing set.

For intake, The Edlebrock Performer non EGR will fit my needs well and I'll probably just keep the Holley 4 Barrel on it (I have a 4160 that replaced the OEM 4180c a decade or so ago).

Then comes to exhaust, my original line of thinking was to just keep the stock manifolds, but I have one that looks like it is leaking and could be cracked. If I'm going to pull the engine, might as well install some sort of header. I've read the biggest draw back on the 460 from this era is the exhaust restrictions. I'm debating on long tube vs short in this application. I can do the install and most likely the fab of the exhaust myself since I have a welder, but not sure which is best on this. I was looking into L&L headers among other brands. Any suggestions for this? I'm not going to run a true dual exhaust. I currently have a y pipe that is dual 2.5" into 3" and the rest of the system in 3". My truck did not come from the factory with a catalytic converter and does not require one.

Ignition will be a recurved duraspark distributor.

I think that covers most everything, I'm open to any suggestions.

@19Walt93 @franklin2 thoughts?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals