• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

429ci to 6.9 idi swap

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I have an 86 f350 that I am building and long story short I was at an offroad club meeting last night and a guy I met has a 6.9 idi for cheap. What I am wondering is there a way to mate my NP435 to the 6.9? Or if there isn't what transmission would you recommend? It is a wheeler so keep that in mind, mostly crawling and trails

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was actually just doing some research and it looks like either a t-19 or a ZF-5, are those my only options?

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also as far as autos go, does a BB c-6 mate? and if so is this transmission pretty beefy?

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
you can use your np435, i think the idi use the same bell too. If they don't, all you would need is the proper bell.

If i had the choice between the t18, t19, 435, a zf, or any auto, I'd take the 435 in a heartbeat.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That makes me really happy cause I love the 1st gear ratio in the 435, thanks man and rep to you

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
I think the t19 1st gear ratio is just as low (close enough anyway), and is fully synchronized. where the 435 stands out is its reverse ratio and its availability. Also on paper the t19 is stronger, but I've seen many more t19 failures than 435 failures.

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a question, can I use my fuel pump, tank and lines that are already in the truck? (aftermarket carter fuel pump and brand new fuel line)

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
May I ask why you are ditching a bbf for the least powerful v8 diesel ford ever put in a pickup?:icon_confused:

If that's the stock motor in the 86 that should be a 460 not 429.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
May I ask why you are ditching a bbf for the least powerful v8 diesel ford ever put in a pickup?:icon_confused:

If that's the stock motor in the 86 that should be a 460 not 429.
If it is a stock 460 it is far from a barn burner either.

CHKNFKR

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
545 CID
Transmission
Manual
He already said in another thread the PO swapped the 429 in. My guess is he wants the diesel for its simplicity and reliability, i think he has plans to turbo it.

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If it is a stock 460 it is far from a barn burner either.
A stock 460 will trump a stock 6.9 any day and twice on Sunday. Not to mention with just a small amount of money/time have a hell of a puller. I'm not downing diesels, i'm actually more of a diesel guy than gas, but the idi diesels were pitiful. A turbo would wake it up as would turning the injection pump screw 1/4 turn.:icon_thumby:

What heads are on the 429???

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am getting the diesel for simplicity, that lack of a carb and low end torque. No plan to turbo yet trying to K.I.S.S.

Anyways does anyone want to actually answer my question?

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Long as whatever you have is rated for diesel. I know those carter pumps will pump diesel, but Idk if they put the proper pressure to the injection pump.

make sure ALL the gas is out of the system before running the diesel. With no computer to limit the fuel you could get a runaway.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
personally i say you need a diesel tank, lines, and pump so you dont run the risk of putting and gas into the diesel engine.

really you shoudn't under estimate a 6.9 idi i have seen them pull some pretty crazy loads and if taken care of last about near forever.

And the idea of the turbo on the 6.9 idi is not really a good idea even though the 6.9 idi and 7.3 idi do share some of the same specs they were non-turbo for a reason yes you can get an ATS sidewinder turbo kit or a Banks turbo kit, the kits are out there and i have seen them on those trucks but you run the risk of melt down because those engines were not designed for the forced induction.

And another note turning up the fuel on a 6.9 idi gives you smoke and a little more power but it also raises the EGT which pushes the idea of melt down yet again it can be done but a pyrometer gauge will need to be installed and watched closely

just my two cents worth

RoidedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
personally i say you need a diesel tank, lines, and pump so you dont run the risk of putting and gas into the diesel engine.

really you shoudn't under estimate a 6.9 idi i have seen them pull some pretty crazy loads and if taken care of last about near forever.

And the idea of the turbo on the 6.9 idi is not really a good idea even though the 6.9 idi and 7.3 idi do share some of the same specs they were non-turbo for a reason yes you can get an ATS sidewinder turbo kit or a Banks turbo kit, the kits are out there and i have seen them on those trucks but you run the risk of melt down because those engines were not designed for the forced induction.

And another note turning up the fuel on a 6.9 idi gives you smoke and a little more power but it also raises the EGT which pushes the idea of melt down yet again it can be done but a pyrometer gauge will need to be installed and watched closely

just my two cents worth

actually a few of the idi trucks did come from the factory with a turbo, believe it or not.:icon_thumby:

as long as boost is kept low and eveything else (engine wise) is in good condition, there should be no problem putting a sidewinder turbo on it. main thing to watch (in conjunction with EGT) is boost as the IDI engines hav very high compression when compared to newer DI diesels. this added compression combined with high (over 10psi) can be very bad due to extreme cylinder pressure.

from what ive read ATS has the turbo very well sized for the IDI app to keep everything in the SAFE zone. i hav even began to see some more aftermarket "hop-up" parts coming for the IDI, such as injectors, injection pumps, etc.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals