• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

410 Comp Cams. Is it worth it?

Christine_4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I was curious about Comp Cams model 410 for the 4.0L. I was eyeing it because I'm tossing the idea of rebuilding and pumping up the stock engine in my 1998 Ranger around. Is it even worth spending the money on it? If so what are somethings to be on the lookout for and other parts I might need along with it. Keep in mind my want list for this project includes 95tm heads and and 2nd gen SOHC pistons (for higher compression and better flow), new main and rod bearings, and complete gasket set (it appears I've got a head gasket going out, that's what spurred this. Apparently cracked/warped heads aren't an uncommon problems in the 98mt heads on the 98-00 Rangers).

Thanks in advance for the advice

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Christine,

I believe that the Ford 60°V6 4.0L OHV engine is absolutely worth building a little better. Even with stock Ford parts (the lighter piston rods and OHC flat tops), the rotational weight is reduced and the compression bumped; a win/win. Don't ignore the valve train flaws; this is the perfect opportunity to replace/upgrade your worn rockers and add adjustable push rods.

The CompCam power is worth it but the cost, get your stock cam custom ground for ½ the cost. Oregon Cam Grinder's of Vancouver WA do this procedure for $159, for the 4.0L OHV.

As far as I know all the OHC pistons are flat tops and the correct bore for the OHV 4.0L; I chose 2001's.

I feel that 94tm heads are a better choice, then the OHC flat tops only bump to around 10.5 with 94tm heads, this leaves room for head milling on pump premium fuel: though, if you are getting the heads/intakes flow match port/polished, the 98tm would be my 1st choice.

Consider adding Smith Brother's custom adjustable push rods, to insure the highest performance from your build. It is the most practical way to get perfect lifter preload on the 4.0L OHV.

If your not building a RACE engine, consider the stock piston rods that are 50g lighter (each). Don't forget the ARP hardware for your piston rods ..)

You may as well lose the crankshaft driven fan/clutch for an electric fan + controller. No extra hp but it removes the largest, unnecessary power zapping load from the engine.

Last edited:

Christine_4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I didn't know that the stock camshaft was even worth grinding, Ill have to look a little deeper into it because $159 for a custom grind seems easier on the wallet than the $340 price tag on a brand new outfit from comp cams:LOL:

And is there a huge difference between the 94tm and 95tm? Or are they pretty similar?

Do you by chance have a link or something to find those custom pushrods? And do you figure ill have to do any other serious valvetrain upgrades?

Also I was just planning on using the stock rods simply because its cheaper but its good to know that's probably the best route for a mild build

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Uh..... wouldn't grinding on your existing cam reduce valve lift? Or is this done in conjunction with rockers that open the valves more?

Just trying to get all this straight in my head.

Christine_4.0xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I think what they do is reweld then grind the lobes to achieve the correct duration and lift your looking for. I have no idea for sure but that's my best guess

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Usually you need to buy longer pushrods. When they grind a cam, they not only change the lift profile but they also change the base diameter.

Vikz808

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Christine,

I believe that the Ford 60°V6 4.0L OHV engine is absolutely worth building a little better. Even with stock Ford parts (the lighter piston rods and OHC flat tops), the rotational weight is reduced and the compression bumped; a win/win. Don't ignore the valve train flaws; this is the perfect opportunity to replace/upgrade your worn rockers and add adjustable push rods.

The CompCam power is worth it but the cost, get your stock cam custom ground for ½ the cost. Oregon Cam Grinder's of Vancouver WA do this procedure for $159, for the 4.0L OHV.

As far as I know all the OHC pistons are flat tops and the correct bore for the OHV 4.0L; I chose 2001's.

I feel that 94tm heads are a better choice, then the OHC flat tops only bump to around 10.5 with 94tm heads, this leaves room for head milling on pump premium fuel: though, if you are getting the heads/intakes flow match port/polished, the 98tm would be my 1st choice.

Consider adding Smith Brother's custom adjustable push rods, to insure the highest performance from your build. It is the most practical way to get perfect lifter preload on the 4.0L OHV.

If your not building a RACE engine, consider the stock piston rods that are 50g lighter (each). Don't forget the ARP hardware for your piston rods ..)

You may as well lose the crankshaft driven fan/clutch for an electric fan + controller. No extra hp but it removes the largest, unnecessary power zapping load from the engine.
What length pushrods would you recommend for the 410 comp cam

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

That article discusses push rod length.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Christine,

The BiG difference between the 94TM and 95TM heads is the head portion of the combustion chamber.

:SINCE YOU HAVE A 98 COMOP::
-If you are using 95TM, then don't use SOHC flat tops, mill the heads to achieve desired compression (0.03" will yields about 1 point).
-If you use 94TM heads, then SOHC flat tops are perfect for a point of compression.

In regards to correct push rod length you simply need to make the choice to use it or have a less efficient valve train (PERIOD). Smith Brother's website is easy to Google. They offer several solutions to help determine the correct push rod length for YOUR engine.

From what I've experienced the stockers were probably OK for the 1st 30k-45k, after that the 4.0L ohv was due for a talve train adjustment but since it was designed without that feature, it's reduced performance is eminent. It all books down to lifter preload.

In regards to needing a different length push rod with a replacement cam, they are a number of factors; increased lift, stronger springs, reground shafts...

In summary, the prudent move with a 4.0L ohv rebuild is to actually measure the required length, then decide wether YOU want to use that for 30-45k before needing longer push rods, over and over and over, OR, get a custom set of adjustable push rods which will insure the highest possible performance eficeincy for the longest possible term.

There us nothing wrong with using stock piston rods but get ARP connecting rod bolts. If you want to get some more power back from the enginerrs at Ford, there are 3 types used in this engine; the set marked "F boca" (known as the RIBBED style) are the lightest and offer a rotational wright load reduction to the engine = increase in efficeintcy.

Two other considerations with the connecting rods are:

1) peening, having stock rods peened will increase their strength and is much cheaper than buying forged.
2) annealing, having stock rods anealed will also increase their strength and is alsi much cheaper than buying forged

Both processed permit the use of stock rids with increased reliability bar the cost of forged rods.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals