• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

40 Performance Parts

BLUTHUNDER1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I Am Getting Ready To Swap My 89 2.9 For A 90-92 4.0. What Manufactures Sell Performance Parts For This Engine. Headers,cams.heads And Intakes Thank You

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Uhhh... they do NOTHING for the 4.0OHV engine.

AD

AK-Kayaker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
Uhhh... they do NOTHING for the 4.0OHV engine.

AD
Really, I think you need to check again, they started doing 4.0L OHV about 8 months to a year ago.

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no AK allan is right, supersix only caters to the SOHC crowd, he has an OHV....big difference.

AK-Kayaker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
no AK allan is right, supersix only caters to the SOHC crowd, he has an OHV....big difference.
Don't believe me click the link, right at the top of page.
4.0L OHV v-6 ranger.
I am not in the habit of posting unless i'm sure.
And since I have owned both, I do know the difference.
Granted all they really offer is short blocks, pistons and heads, it is a good foundation to start a good build.

Last edited:

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 Performance Mods.

OK - now that we have that straight - could we get back to the original question. Who has history or experience with 4.0 performance? I've got my late 4.0 with the big dished pistons torn down to rebuild. It seems sort of irreligious to not put it back together with at least some minor modifications. All those years of reading Hot Rod have made their impression.

My 3.0 Taurus has 205hp and drives really well. I'd like to get the 4.0 in that range without having to use premium fuel. (Please don't discuss cold air boxes with me - I own a magnahelic, if you don't know what that means you really don't want to discuss cold air boxes with me) I'd really like to hear experiences not opinions.

Cams? Larger valves? MAF? Throttle bodies? On the later two are there OEM parts that will interchange or is this entirely aftermarket. I like cast iron headers for the street - quieter - is there really a lot of gain with headers if you don't remove the converters? Does anyone in the Ranger crowd have experience with underdrives?

I've got a lot of time - I put another motor in my Ranger so I could drive it. This engine is a winter project.

krugford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ouch, $1100 for a head that's probably going to decrease low end torque on a stock engine, no thanks. It also worries me that they see all those coolant passages in the head as a bad thing....

What kind of power upgrades are you going for here? More top end? What kind of durability are you going for? Are you thinking forced induction? It's really going to depend on how you use the truck. If it's a daily driver and all your looking for is a little more power, a cam and head swap might do the job, but you might sacrifice longevity. I understand where you're coming from, but I've never really been a fan of just adding a "little" power. I usually leave my daily drivers bone stock in terms of powertrain simply for reliability reasons. Otherwise, you might as well go all out. Just my .02.

And for all you still wondering what a magnehelic is, it's a brand of delta P gauge. And there's no reason to get into the ever popular cold air intake "discussion" here. Tempting as it may be :)

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 Performance

OK. So what have you done that works? I'd up to adding a turbo although the TRS site is short on info on the process - the 4.0 rebuild is full of great information - but - there is no discussion of what worked based on an actual rebuild. (There is a great thread going about putting 4.6 -with pictures- in a Ranger.) The 4.0 is a remarkable durable engine - I just took the heads off of my 240+K engine and find there is hardly any wear on the cylinders. The cam bearings are into the copper but the cam is reasonably unworn. I used to build 2.0 race engines that got close to 300 hp. Seems like a 4.0 could be bumped to a little over 200 pretty easy.

The big difference from a race engine and the street 4.0 is keeping the electronics in place, smog attachments and the computer controls etc. So . . .anyone have practical experience?

In the 80's I spent several weeks designing cold air boxes, hose configurations, etc. (and I'm so pleased at least one person claims to know what a magnahelic does) using that guage for a racing program. The guage measures air pressure in water column inches of pressure. We started off trying to maximize the pressure over the face of the intake at speed (70-140mph) by designing a box that would accept the maximum possible pressure inside before the air started bouncing off of the air stacking up in front of the opening. We even tried a cable system to bleed some air off the back with basically poor results. At issue was the fact we were trying to get the max amount of air into a box that was sucking air into a turbo through a single 40mm restriction plate. The answer by the way was that nothing worked better or more practically than cowl induction.

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It is my long considered opinion that major engine mods rarely pay off because you must do EVERYTHING for it all to work together.

Gears ALWAYS deliver improved performance....

Headers Usually improve things.

The only "non stock" thing about my 4.0 engine is the Borla
headers (which, sadly, are discontinued)

AD

AD

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Borla Headers

Oh sure - offer some hope then take it away.

The deal is, I've got this 4.0 apart and I can do a complete rebuild and upgrade, massage, modify or re-invent whatever. I've just been looking for someone who has made significant mods to a 4.0 - that's actually done it and can report the result. There is precious little about this engine that someone could not take a a 30 year old copy of "How to Hotrod your Chevy V-8" and create some improvements. Maybe that's what I'll do and send pictures to the Tech page.

OR . . .

I'd like to hear from someone who has who has turboed the 4.0 - it seems like those deep dish pistons and big squish area would work good with a few pounds of boost. The engine I took apart has so little wear after 200+ miles I can't help but believe their is sufficient strength for 5-7 pounds on a daily driver. The big issue for me is I want to keep the 5spd Auto trans

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals