• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4 wheel drive is locked in but light wont come on????

davejoness3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i have a 1993 ford ranger stx 4.0 v6 and i go to out it in 4 wheel drive and it kicks in but the light wont come on indicating that it is???? it feels like its on and i locked the hubs and then put it in 4 wheel drive? is there a different way to put it in? is there a wire shortage? or a sensor?? please help?

Thanks for the time
Davejoness3

94b4kzoomzoom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0~5.0
Transmission
Manual
unfortunatly I am having the same issue, today I went out plowing, Popped it into 4hi. light came on, worked fine. Went to dissengage and light stayed on, still in 4hi. Pushed it multiple times, finally was out. Needed to use 4hi again, light didnt come on but was engaged, tried taking it out but it wouldnt get out, put it back in 4lo and none of the lights came on but its stuck in 4 lo now......wtf is going on??? hahaha

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If it's actually in 4WD, maybe the bulb is just burned out (does the Low Range one come on?).

If it's intermittently failing to shift in or out of 4WD, then the shift motor on the t-case might be the culprit (this page might help).

94b4kzoomzoom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0~5.0
Transmission
Manual
I havent checked to see if the bulbs burnt out, but I tryed to disengage 4lo and no matter what I did or how many times I pushed 4 hi or 4lo nothing happened. It stayed in 4lo. Another thing I noticed was when i shut the truck off and tried to disengage it when the key was on acc. the batt gauge would only flicker when I tried disengaging 4hi but nothing happened when i tried 4lo...Im checking out the other page now, thanks

davejoness3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
nope none of my 4 Wheel drive lights will work not the 4X4 or Low range... i duno what happened i just got a stage one clutch put in it with a new fly wheel and stuff, my uncle put it in for me maybe he forgot to hook the wire back up or something???? i dont know much about transmissions :(
thanks
davejoness3

94b4kzoomzoom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0~5.0
Transmission
Manual
Soo I bought a new motor, tried repairing mine but bolts were seized, the new motor works. But now the 4lo doesn't work. Have to do more digging and figure out why.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals