• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4 speed Hydraulic Clutch Problem Resolved

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
Hey guys, wanted to pass along some information for others looking at doing a v8 swap.

When I did my 351w swap I used a T19 from a 84 F150 (T18, T19, and NP435 are all very similar transmissions and bellhousing do interchange) with the hydraulic clutch bellhousing. I've seen all over the forum different results when swapping this bellhousing in. I literally took the simplest route.

Using the 85 F150 bellhousing, slave cylinder, and slave mounting bracket, I connected it to the factory master and line for my 91 2.9 5 speed. It went right together, and works without issue.

There's one quirk to this setup that I've just found. You can't pump up and bleed the system like normal. You've got to assemble the unit, fill it with fluid, and reverse bleed by pumping the slave cylinder. Keep adding fluid and slowly pumping til you quit getting bubbles in the reservoir when you pump it. Think you got them all? Move the system around in every possible motion, you'll find more air, then pump some more. Took about hour and a half with ample beer drinking time and jamming to tunes.

Hung it by the reservoir last night and threw it back together today after work. Pedal feels awesome, fully disengages, and doesn't lose disengagement when it gets hot.

Figured someone else might get some use out of this, any questions?

tjack96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 2.5
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, wanted to pass along some information for others looking at doing a v8 swap.

When I did my 351w swap I used a T19 from a 84 F150 (T18, T19, and NP435 are all very similar transmissions and bellhousing do interchange) with the hydraulic clutch bellhousing. I've seen all over the forum different results when swapping this bellhousing in. I literally took the simplest route.

Using the 85 F150 bellhousing, slave cylinder, and slave mounting bracket, I connected it to the factory master and line for my 91 2.9 5 speed. It went right together, and works without issue.

There's one quirk to this setup that I've just found. You can't pump up and bleed the system like normal. You've got to assemble the unit, fill it with fluid, and reverse bleed by pumping the slave cylinder. Keep adding fluid and slowly pumping til you quit getting bubbles in the reservoir when you pump it. Think you got them all? Move the system around in every possible motion, you'll find more air, then pump some more. Took about hour and a half with ample beer drinking time and jamming to tunes.

Hung it by the reservoir last night and threw it back together today after work. Pedal feels awesome, fully disengages, and doesn't lose disengagement when it gets hot.

Figured someone else might get some use out of this, any questions?
Im doing the same set-up on my swap: '87 F250 external slave bellhousing, slave and bracket. Care to drop some pics of your clutch set up?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals