• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4 cyl 4x4 Ranger question .

kenvb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what is the newest Ranger 4x4 that came with a 4 cyl. i have had a few rangers since 83. but no 4x4s. i dont like the gas mileage of the 4 litre motor. so stay away from them.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1992 was officially the last 4WD 4 cylinders I believe.

This is from the History of Ford Ranger
[1992] The base engine on all 4 wheel drive Rangers was upgraded to the 140 hp. 2.9-liter V-6 with the 160 hp. 4.0-liter V-6 an option. Dropped from the 4x4 lineup was the 2.3-liter. Ford used additional galvanized steel to resist corrosion. Fog lamps were now optional on the STX Sport 4x4 Rangers. Ford discontinued the cloth headliner on the entry level S model as a way of reducing the price.
In 1993 the Rangers got heavier so I guess the power to weight ratio numbers got bad enough for Ford to not build 4cyl 4x4s unless customer wanted it.

So the 4cyls were an Option until 1997, there are 4WD 4cyl Rangers from 1993 to 1997, I think it was only an option on Regular Cab 4x4 but if a customer wanted it Ford would build it, just takes money, lol.

Last edited:

turbo91xlt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford built 2.3 4x4s as regular production all the way up to the last year of the TTB 4wd suspension in '97. They dropped the option with the introduction of the torsion bar suspension. All 2.3 4x4s will be regular cabs with manual transmissions only. The only exception to this rule is the handful of 1986 extended cab models built since 1986 was the the 1st year ford offered the extended cab. They soon halted production of those as they realized it was just too underpowered.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals