• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.88's in at 03' ranger

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I want to put deep gears in my 2003 ranger, but wonder if I put in 4.88's if the front pinion gear would be to small and cause issues. Any thoughts on this?:dunno:

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
4.88's have been used for a long time, I can't see the issue. My theory if you are breaking pinions you need a bigger axle.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The '98+ low-pinion setup isn't the best frontend, but it should be fine as long as you don't romp on it.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I will be romping on it, but only with 33" tires.

351Mazda

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen quite a few Jeep LP dana 30's break pinion gears, I believe you have the same gears?

The one's I've seen all have had chromoly shafts, and one guy in particular that used to break a few gears each year had a front locker.

I would say you're probably alright, but pushing it. Different tires would make a difference, as well as what terrain you are driving in. 33 IROK's on dry rocks are a whole different animal compared to, say, 33' AT's in mud.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I will be romping on it, but only with 33" tires.
I'd take a pass for a better axle myself (HP D44 SAS).

I've seen quite a few Jeep LP dana 30's break pinion gears, I believe you have the same gears?
D35 gears are a little bigger than D30 gears, but the bigger issue here is them being lo-pinion. Driving them on the 'coast' side you lose about 30-40% of their strength, a lot of it due to gear deflection from the angle on the teeth.
Why Ford went to LP gears when they redid the frontend in '98 (or '95 for Explorers) is beyond me. :icon_confused:

Last edited:

351Mazda

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
I'd take a pass for a better axle myself (HP D44 SAS).

D35 gears are a little bigger than D30 gears, but the bigger issue here is them being lo-pinion. Driving them on the 'coast' side you lose about 30-40% of their strength, a lot of it due to gear deflection from the angle on the teeth.
Why Ford went to LP gears when they redid the frontend in '98 (or '95 for Explorers) is beyond me. :icon_confused:
Like you said, they are weaker when you drive them on the 'coast' side. However, if you are in reverse they you are using the gear's strong side.

I would guess that in the normal use Ford designed the truck for that more stress is going to be on the front in reverse, like getting stuck and trying to back out of a snow bank going uphill?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That idea might hold a little merit on a short-wheelbase rig like a Jeep TJ where weight transfer to the front can potentially be greater while backing up something, but on a longer pickup truck it makes far less sense.
If the axle was too weak originally (very doubtful when everyone running 35" and even 37" tires on the earlier HP D35 aren't experiencing gear failure), maybe a bigger pumpkin would've been in order.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I am just trying to make my Ranger nasty fast. Front end is "open" and all I do is mud drag racing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals