• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.56's installed

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
got my new gears and love it!:icon_thumby:... with my 30" bfg's(up from stock 27") and 4.56 gears(up from 3.73) my ratio is equivalent to that of a stock tire with 4.10s..

if ur runnin 30" tires i wud highly recomend 4.56 gears

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Exactly! That's what I'm running with 31's!

Glad to hear you're happy with them. I always recommend those gears because they've been so great for me too!

Allen

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
hold on a moment, I have 33's and I'am coming to the conclusion that I might want gears thus I become a little frustrated on the freeway with the high winds. I want to switch over to gears that will give me a little better gas mileage. I have stock right now do you suggest 4.56's?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
HIGHLY.....recommend 4.56's. Especially with 33" rubber. I drive my Ranger back and forth to work daily (M-F) averaging about 150-200 miles per day. I've been running this ratio for many years now on all of the SoCal freeways without any problems and still get 25-27 mpg all day.

405, 10, 60, 15, 5, 110, 101, 710, 105, 605, 55, 22, 210, 118, you get the picture......hahaha

Allen

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
hold on a moment, I have 33's and I'am coming to the conclusion that I might want gears thus I become a little frustrated on the freeway with the high winds. I want to switch over to gears that will give me a little better gas mileage. I have stock right now do you suggest 4.56's?
the 4 banger and 33;s you would be better off with 4.88's if its a 80% or better daily driver, and 5.13's if its more of a weekend toy.

the 4banger and 31's 4.56 work perfect for.

just to give you a ideal, I have the OHV 4.0L with 33's and run 4.56's,has the power of a stock truck. get 17-18 mpg overall avg with mixed driving. I could get better,but have a lead foot.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
the 4 banger and 33;s you would be better off with 4.88's if its a 80% or better daily driver, and 5.13's if its more of a weekend toy.

the 4banger and 31's 4.56 work perfect for.

just to give you a ideal, I have the OHV 4.0L with 33's and run 4.56's,has the power of a stock truck. get 17-18 mpg overall avg with mixed driving. I could get better,but have a lead foot.
how hard is it to do?
where do I buy the gears from?

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HIGHLY.....recommend 4.56's. Especially with 33" rubber. I drive my Ranger back and forth to work daily (M-F) averaging about 150-200 miles per day. I've been running this ratio for many years now on all of the SoCal freeways without any problems and still get 25-27 mpg all day.

405, 10, 60, 15, 5, 110, 101, 710, 105, 605, 55, 22, 210, 118, you get the picture......hahaha

Allen
hey ur right around my neck of the woods. i live in westminster close to where the 22 and 405 meet..
i commute to the closest motocross tracks 4 to 5 days a week, im hittin the dam 91 freeway all the time lol

but yea i used the "gears after a tire change" calculator in the tech library to figure out what i wanted..
with the 30"s and 4.56s im runnin at a 4.10 actual ratio compared to stock tires. and since ford sells some of the 4 bangers with 4.10 gears i figured it wud be a good choice to go wit 4.56s...... and it was! just wat i wanted, lil more rpm than stock. makes any hill a breeze:icon_thumby:

great white, 4.88s sound like a good choice for u with 33"s but u shudd check out the calculator i mentioned.. its pretty sick:icon_cheers:

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
how hard is it to do?
where do I buy the gears from?
u will most likely wanna take it to a shop.. its not cheap, especially if u have worn bearings that need replacing like mine did:annoyed:.. but i was at 45,000 miles. i wud recomend doin it asap if u got low miles.

p.s. to everyone, ford says that the rear diff oil is good for the life of the vehicle. the gear shop i went to says bull sh** to that, as proven by my worn bearings on a truck under 2 yrs old. they said the oil shudd be changed every year or 12k miles. looks like ill be changing about twice a year

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
u will most likely wanna take it to a shop.. its not cheap, especially if u have worn bearings that need replacing like mine did:annoyed:.. but i was at 45,000 miles. i wud recomend doin it asap if u got low miles.

p.s. to everyone, ford says that the rear diff oil is good for the life of the vehicle. the gear shop i went to says bull sh** to that, as proven by my worn bearings on a truck under 2 yrs old. they said the oil shudd be changed every year or 12k miles. looks like ill be changing about twice a year
its probably impossible for it to have worn bearings at 6k.....but I will take your advice on taking it to a shop for I'am not very good at working on engines nor anything that goes along with them. But I was wondering where I could get the 4.88 ring & pinion off the web or from a shop because it seems that all the shops in my area charge out the ass for gears. I also was told by my buddys father that w/ the smaller rear end(I'am not sure if mine is the smaller rear end) that it was rather difficult to find gears for it...Let me know ya'll?

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
if everything in ur rear axle is in good shape, which they shudd be at 6k.. ur lookin at around 700$ for a shop to throw some gears in..

ur gonna be so pumped with new gears.. that thing will be wayy quicker. and ur tranny will last longer cause it wont be having to slip nearly as much

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 & 2001
Make / Model
Ford & Dodge
Engine Size
2.3L & 5.9 24v Cummins
Transmission
Automatic
going to have to save for a while $700 is a little steep...but when I can afford I will most definetly invest in some gears

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
i picked up a complete rear-end with 4.56 gears in it for my 2.3 with 31" tires. Cost me 150 bux plus gas. picked it up tuesday after work and installed it wednesday, complete with inspection, fluid change rear brakes adjusted and fluid bled, all in less than 3 hours. (thats with a beer break every 30 minutes) :D save yourself some time and money and just hunt for a complete assembly you can install yourself.

also thanks to hrdware man for the reccommendation. these gears are perfect for my little truck and these tires. drove it for about a month with 3.73 gears, what a dog. this is much better.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals