• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.56 gears?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My around town mileage sucks. And my general theory is because the stupid thing shifts into overdrive at like 35-40mph and then the engine is working its ass off to keep up. Going to a lower gear should help take strain off the engine in stop and go low speed driving like I do. My truck rarely sees the highway so I have no fear of big gears.

I even considered 4.88s but I do plan on a few trips to Georgia with it so I dont want to flat out murder my highway cruising ability.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Around town, I dropped from about 16 mpg average to about 15. I could get better than 15 but like to accelerate too much. I could get over 20 mpg with the 4.10 gears if I a kept it under 65 mph but in the range of 18 to 19 mpg at just over 70 mph. I get 17 to 18 mpg doing just over 70 mph with the 4.56 gears. So basically dropped about 1 mpg both city and highway driving. As I said before, my towing gas mileage actually improved about 1 mpg with the 4.56 gears with 31" tires.
Based on that, my expectation was a bit low then. Most of the highways that I travel around here are interstates with 65-70 mph speed limits. Thanks for the info.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Since @RonD brought this up and it pertains to gear ratios and tire size, is there a chart or equation the calculates tires size and gear and ratio to stock ratio? I'm not a math wiz so charts help keep me balanced but I do know how to use equations once I know the formula.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Since @RonD brought this up and it pertains to gear ratios and tire size, is there a chart or equation the calculates tires size and gear and ratio to stock ratio? I'm not a math wiz so charts help keep me balanced but I do know how to use equations once I know the formula.
There is. I believe it’s in the tech section where the tire/gear ratio chart is. There might even be links right in the chart is. I think it’s in the axle section.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to_pages/gear_ratio_tire_size_chart.shtml

Here is the chart but what engine is it based upon?
There are 4 and 6 cylinders stock and each having a different version and output to it.
While this is a "general over all" ratio it all depends on output of the motor, HP + Torque, to what either best fuel economy, best performance, and best towing should be. Obviously a 4.0 will easily out tow a 2.3 non turbo motor at the same gear ratio so this is where my concern is with this chart.

Is there an equation for HP, Torque, gear ratio and tire size out there? Or am I just hoping for the unicorn to show itself with this question?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It’s a general chart based on the drivetrain, not the engine. To be more specific, you would need to get the gear ratios for your specific transmission and the differential and throw them into a formula for specific speed ranges for each gear. This is only based on one particular speed and gear ratio most transmissions have at that speed to figure what the engine rpm would be. Factors like horsepower and torque are not considered.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
https://www.therangerstation.com/how-to_pages/gear_ratio_tire_size_chart.shtml

Here is the chart but what engine is it based upon?
There are 4 and 6 cylinders stock and each having a different version and output to it.
While this is a "general over all" ratio it all depends on output of the motor, HP + Torque, to what either best fuel economy, best performance, and best towing should be. Obviously a 4.0 will easily out tow a 2.3 non turbo motor at the same gear ratio so this is where my concern is with this chart.

Is there an equation for HP, Torque, gear ratio and tire size out there? Or am I just hoping for the unicorn to show itself with this question?

what you are asking can be a complicated answer.
the simplified version is a 2 step process.
first choose an engine and find it's brake specific fuel consumption. (google it)
that will give you the power output at any given rpm, and how much fuel it needs to do it.
which means: it shows what rpms where the engine is most efficient, and/or where it makes the most power.
then use gear ratios to match what you want to do with what the engine does.

the " 'ol timers" method is to use an intake vacuum gauge.

higher vacuum readings mean less air is being sucked in, which means less fuel is being used.
sort of a low tech efficiency monitor.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals