• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0OHV EGR vs Non-EGR Camshafts

Piney

Reaction score
It's probably been about 12 years since I've posted on this forum, and my ranger has been sitting in the weeds for about that long. I'm finally putting the rig back together, but I let the perfectly good engine get destroyed sitting out in the weather.

Original truck/engine is a 94 Ranger non-EGR. Donor engine is a 97 Ranger w/ EGR. This resource (<- link) indicated there are different camshafts for the EGR vs Non-EGR engines. Does anyone know how exactly they are different? I am trying to decide if it is necessary and worth the extra effort to tear down the donor far enough to swap the camshaft from the original engine, assuming the original camshaft is even still good. I intend to use the original 1994 non-egr computer and dress the donor engine with all the intake pieces from the original and of course go without EGR.

Thanks...

-Eric Steinberg

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Nevermind. You said yours does not have EGR.

That same resource says
Use the F3TZ-B for the ’93-’95 engines that came with EGR and for all of the 4.0L engines from ’96 through 2000, except the ’96 Aerostar that should still use the FOTZ-A. There were a few Rangers built during these years that came without EGR, but they used the F3TZ-B cam, too.
It looks to me like you can use the F3TZ-B cam that should be in the '97.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Back to the barons piney debil.....

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
There are many differences....the calibration of the PC can make or break a good running decent engine.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It's probably been about 12 years since I've posted on this forum, and my ranger has been sitting in the weeds for about that long. I'm finally putting the rig back together, but I let the perfectly good engine get destroyed sitting out in the weather.

Original truck/engine is a 94 Ranger non-EGR. Donor engine is a 97 Ranger w/ EGR. This resource (<- link) indicated there are different camshafts for the EGR vs Non-EGR engines. Does anyone know how exactly they are different? I am trying to decide if it is necessary and worth the extra effort to tear down the donor far enough to swap the camshaft from the original engine, assuming the original camshaft is even still good. I intend to use the original 1994 non-egr computer and dress the donor engine with all the intake pieces from the original and of course go without EGR.

Thanks...

-Eric Steinberg
My friend at Napa has printed me spec sheets for some OEM cams, maybe you could get a Napa near you to print sheets. Then you'd need to be able to determine what the differences would mean.

Piney

Reaction score
To hell with it- I'll be running the EGR cam with the original non-EGR computer and giving myself a better-than-50% chance that it runs fine. The original 94 non-EGR cam was pitted on a few lobes, so it's trashed and I don't want to sink even another $100 into another junkyard shortblock just for the cam and a goal-post move. Anecdotally, people seem to talk about throwing aftermarket cams in these engines without absolutely needing to re-tune, so...

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the Doug Anderson write-up references a "Chart 1" that doesn't exist. This is also the case on another website where the same article is posted. The 94 non-EGR cam had two identification rings, and I found that the 97 EGR cam had 3 evenly spaced rings. But without that chart, no way to cross-reference those rings to part numbers. Also curious about the differences in injectors between these two engines, but that could be another thread.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals