• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L performance parts and suggestions

Zero_Cool

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hi I am currently getting a 4.0L from a 91, or 92 Ranger/explorer I want to put intake and headers on it, as well as doing a hot tune 87 on it. I just have a few questions

What would be the best bang for your buck in terms for the intake and headers (brands/ best performance ?)

Are there any weak spots of this year of 4.0L in terms of internals where there is a better than stock part that can be put in.

If I do a hot tune 87 on the ecu, will I need a bigger rad, or will the stock one hold up?

P.S. Has anyone tried the 5.0L intake piece for the mass air flow on the 4.0L did it make a considerable difference, or should I just leave it ?

Jsommers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Theres no real secrets for making power in a 4.0. Cam and headers are your best bet or you can supercharge it. If you want real power go with a v8

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The '91/'92 had 5 less horse power than '93-'00 4.0l, well listed that way in any case, don't think any one dyno'd them to see :)

Have a read here about the 4.0l and suggested upgrades:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4_0_Page.html

Headers don't increase horsepower, they move it around in the RPM range, low end power, middle range power(which is what you have with stock) and high end power.

The only way to increase power is to increase the amount of fuel(energy) that can be used effectively on each firing stroke of a piston.

Cams, turbos, super chargers all increase the amount of fuel that can be used, so increase power.

Intake and exhaust can be ported(holes matched up) to get all the burned fuel out and new fuel in ASAP, so increase the amount of fuel burned on each power stroke.

For the obvious reason the more cubic inches you have the more fuel you can burn so the more power you will have.
A slightly built up V6 might have the same horsepower as a stock V8, so MPG would be about the same, but the V8 is running at normal "stress levels' as it was designed. the V6 would be running above stock "stress levels", doesn't mean something will break, but it's just more likely than if it is running at stock horsepower levels.

If this will be a daily driver, I would go with stock V8 over modified V6, but if it's power you want then I would go with a modified V8 :)

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger power sports has a huge right up on ohv build. It covers just about everything. Its in there 4.0 section. Sticker at the top.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What's with the double post chef?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals