• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L Intake Manifold is Cracked

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 99 Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0L (110k). The plastic intake manifold has a small crack in it and is causing a vacuum leak.

How hard is it to change this thing out? It didn't look too bad.

I see where these manifolds can be bought with and without an EGR. If this truck has 110k and is almost 10 years old, is it worth it to go ahead and get the one with the new EGR?

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow thats shitty, can you post a pic of the crack? How the heck did that happen? So to be honest, it is really easy to take off and replace. You will need a few gaskets. There are 3 individual ones that go into the plastic manifold, and then another one that sits on top of the fuel rail.

The only special tools you will need is a torque wrench, and I believe the torque settings for those bolts is 15-18 ft lbs, so its not very tight. Basically you just need to remove the intake tube, disconnect the harnesses off of the sensors, take off the coil pack/wires, remove the throttle cable linkage, undo the 6 bolts (12 mm if I recall), wiggle the intake off (this takes finess, there is a tube on the driver side that goes in at an angle, its usually a huge PITA to get it off.

All in all it took me like an hour and a half the first time, I can do it now in 30 minutes still taking my time. Then you replace your gaskets, and put it back together.

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think I have a manifold with egr but you can add the egr if needed. You just have to knock out the plastic plug(I've done it)

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I'm trying to find the leak myself. The shop I took it to told me about it. Said they sprayed starting fluid and they saw it getting sucked in.

I'll try to post. The guy who took a look at it specializes in buying wrecked Rangers and fixing them up for resale (body shop). He said he has seen this before on these plastic manifolds. According to him, not all that uncommon. Specially since the truck is almost 10 years old. And down here in Texas it gets real hot in the summer and can get cold in the winters.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeh it certainly is possible. Well have you tried doing the starting fluid trick? That could at least point you in the right direction.

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
according to Parts.com, they show an intake w/ and w/o an EGR.

Were some Rangers made w/o and EGR? Or is this just mean an intake that comes with a new EGR or whether you have to use your old one?

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
97Ranger,

I am actually waiting on a call back from the guy who did it. I figure just as easy to ask him! He wasn't there when I picked it up this morning or I would have found out then.

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, I've thought of the boneyard concept. However, because of it being plastic and the wide temp changes we have, I'm going to go ahead and stick with a new one so I don't have any other problems. I am looking for this truck to get me at least another 3-4 years. Looking for 200k before I go with something else.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how much does a new one go for? Try Rockauto.com they have good prices on oem parts.

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
On Parts.com:

4.0L Intake w/ EGR = $160
4.0L Intake w/o EGR = $130

I just called the local NAPA and they said they have one in stock for $96. I'm dubious as to that, but will go during lunch and take a look

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Can't find it on Rockauto. They list the gaskets, but no manifold itself.

Strickland0811

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Is there a way to find a drawing of this thing online? Exploded view or something?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think the plastic intakes even require a gasket between the upper and fuel rail. The one I have I believe has a rubber o-ring seal on it.

I'd try the wreckers first. and see if you can't get one. Then if all else fails you can get a new one. Save yourself a few bux.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals