• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0L build M50D-R1

dm571s

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4-6"
Tire Size
30+
Hello all,

I would like to start that I get a lot of information from this site but couldn't find any info on this topic. If there is a thread that I missed that you could link me to that would be greatly helpful. if not here is my question.

I Have a 4.0L engine that I am planning to build as much as I can but am worried my transmission wont be able to keep up. I believe I have a Mazda M50D-R1 manual trans. I want to keep manual and was wondering if anyone has any info on upgrades/swaps I can do to give it the best chance against my engine.

PS: this will be mainly a mudding build, 30+ inch tires with upgraded (Likely) D44 differential front 8.8 rear. truck has lots of semimetal value as it was my first ever vehicle that I found and bought back, so I don't want to engine swap.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All the 4.0l Rangers used the M5OD-R1(M5R1) manual transmission, 1990 thru 2011, so yes, that's what you have

It was used on the 4.0l SOHC at 207HP so will be fine with 4.0l OHV build

Ford did put the T5 in the 4.0l SOHC 2005-2010 Mustangs, so same bell housing bolt pattern if you want to try something different
But shifter is much farther back, comes up right at front of seats
T5 was used with V8s in Mustangs

Last edited:

dm571s

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4-6"
Tire Size
30+
All the 4.0l Rangers used the M5OD-R1(M5R1) manual transmission, 1990 thru 2011, so yes, that's what you have

It was used on the 4.0l SOHC at 207HP so will be fine with 4.0l OHV build

Ford did put the T5 in the 4.0l SOHC 2005-2010 Mustangs, so same bell housing bolt pattern if you want to try something different
But shifter is much farther back, comes up right at front of seats
T5 was used with V8s in Mustangs
Thanks! just out of curiosity, in the future if I ran into issues, is there upgrades to ether the M5R1 or the T5 to make it stronger? id say I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this will be my first time getting into the custom/upgrade side of things.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not for the M5R1, and not sure on the T5 never looked at these

Sorry, looks like you are wanting 4x4 trans, you will be better off sticking to the M5R1 with the BW1354
Its rated for 331ft/lb torque

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
There aren't any upgrade parts for the M5R1. Your upgrade is an adapter plate and a full size truck trans or a V8 swap. Or a C5 auto if you can find one, those can be built to be very strong but they are rare.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
For reference: The T5 (World Class) with 2.95:1 1st gear is only rated at 300ft.lbs; so M5OD is about 10% stronger than T5 even while having lower 1st gear. Mustang V6 T5 has 3.35:1 1st and is rated for 280 ft. lbs.

If you install S10 tail shaft housing on T5, it moves shifter more/less back to stock positions.
What I don't know is if Mustang clutch connects to Ranger hydraulic clutch.​
Ford Mustang clutch is rated for 280 ft. lbs. There are fancier aftermarket 4.0 clutches that will take you to 335 ft. lbs. They're all pretty limited by the 10" diameter...​

p.s. Not a lot of upgrades for the 4.0 OHV engine in your '96...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals