• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 woes

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bought a 99 xlt 4.0l that needed work. Put heads on it because had a misfire in cylinders 3 and 5. Turns out gasket blown and heads were cracked. Ran fine for 2 years. Started to idle rough like really rough again and loss of power. CEL came on and a week later started flashing pulled codes for misfire in cylinders 5,6,and 3. In that order with no other codes if it means anything. I have narrowed it down to plugs and wires (6 months old) bad coil pack, vacuum leak, or fuel filter. Any other ideas on what it could be. I'm willing to try any route that doesn't involve pulling the heads again. I need to get this thing fixed. Tired of paying for diesel in my 08 lol. Any help would be appreciated.

nightcop

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
well you might check the compression to see if the heads are cracked or bad head gasket. but i just did a motor swap with a 4.0 into my 88 ranger. ran good during the break in. then it died thought i had a bad coil but it turned out to be a bad EEC. i replaced it first with one from a junk yard. truck ran great so i got a new EEC and kept the junk yard one for a spare. might be something to look it.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info. I hope its not that but ill check it out anyway gonna start small with a fuel filter and a coil. Hopefully get them on tonight or tomorrow night. I freaking hope its the coil.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update:

Fuel filter, coil, and sea foam done drove it all day yesterday. CEL came on.... forget the actual code number but it was too lean bank 1 with no misfire codes. Gonna double check the vacuum lines and clean the MAF sensor. Any other ideas? Still runs a little rough but no where near as bad as it was.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update on an update well I tore into the top half of the motor. Replaced all injectors, as well as upper and lower intake gaskets. Also flushed the coolant added water for a test drive and everything seems back to normal. I do believe the issue was in the gaskets as the lower was split and there was a redish/brown stain around the top of cylinder 5. Will update again if problem comes back

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals