• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 V6 stock exhaust pipe size?

Shag

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've decided to replace the stock muffler on my '04 Ranger 4.0 V6 with a 40-series Flowmaster. I've looked at the tech section of this forum and read a bunch of posts in the exhaust section but can't find anywhere that tells me exactly what the size of my stock exhaust pipe is. I need to know so (of course) I order the right muffler. I read that exhaust pipe is always listed in OD. Can anyone tell me what the OD measurement of a stock '04 Ranger with 4.0 V6 is? Thanks in advance for any help. :D

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2". I go with a 2 1/2" though and a 2 1/2" tailpipe. A flowmaster 40 on all stock piping doesn't sound very good IMHO.

Shag

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
2". I go with a 2 1/2" though and a 2 1/2" tailpipe. A flowmaster 40 on all stock piping doesn't sound very good IMHO.
Thanks, Hahns! Honestly I didn't quite believe you... I was thinking 2 1/4 was more likely but after you replied I was thinking about it and realized I have a dial-caliper in the garage. I took it outside and checked and you were right. 2" OD for the stock pipe. I appreciate the response. :icon_thumby:

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So will a 2 1/8 slide over the stock pipe or does it have to be a 2 1/4 to slide over the stock piping? I cut the muffler off my Ranger yesterday and I am putting a FLowmaster 40 on but it is a 2.5 inch on the muffler. It will exit out in front of the passanger tire and I want to run 2.5 inch pipe from the muffler to the tip. Just want to get all my info down before I go buy the bends and tip.

Last edited:

nate09

Reaction score
run 2.5" from the cat to the muffler, then 2.5" out the side. the same set up i have on my truck and it sounds great. i got a section of 2.5" with the proper flared end to fit up to the cat at a muffler shop for pretty cheap.

-Nathan-

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 / 2001
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
HO 5.0 / 7.3 PSD
Transmission
Manual
I ran 2.5" from the y pipe to my flowmaster super 40, and a 2.5" through for the tailpipe. If I may... if youre going to spend the money on a flowmaster 40, spend a little more and get the super 40, it sounds GNARLY.

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well what I did for now was cut off the old muffler slide on the Flowmaster, then take the back section where it makes the 90 and run it off the muffler and out the side in front of the tire. Tomarrow im going to weld the front of the muffler (held on by Muffler clamps atm) but not the back. I figure in a couple weeks I will problubly get a 2.5 pipe and run 2.5 inch pipe out the back of the muffler out in front of the tire. Worked out pretty good. ended up only spending 13 bucks on it all lol. Got the muffler from a friend, he put it on his 98 ranger then a month later blew the engine, so the muffler has very little use. Also i paied 6 bucks for the clamps which will eventually go away O and I spent 7 bucks for a tip which will get changed later when i get the 2.5 piping. Sounds good, think it will sound better after i get the bigger pipe to go out the back of the muffler later though...but for now it works. I had to drive it for 4 days with no muffler.....got old lol sounded louder IN the truck than it did OUTSIDE the truck lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals