• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 ta 2.9 in a 95 ranger

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
he said all ready he dose not want a 4.0 so leave him alone and help him out with what he wants to do. otherwise don't post!
If someone is doing something for misguided (Read idiotic) reasons it is our DUTY to disuade them from their proposed folly.

The BEST of the 2.9's are far less reliable than the worst of the 4.0 Engines.

"bad luck" is no reason to switch to something else, something worse...

I like many others switched to a 4.0 FROM a 2.9 because it was getting impossible to find a "Good" 2.9.

The fact that the OP has one doesn't come close to the fact that making the 2.9 work with the EEC5 wiring
in a '95 isn't going to be easy, let alone practicle.

BTW, the ORIGINAL Y-pipe for the 1995-up 4.0 will bolt directly to the 2.9 Exhaust manifolds so
you don't need to monkey around with the exhaust system

AD

Last edited:

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The fact that the OP has one doesn't come close to the fact that making the 2.9 work with the EEC5 wiring
in a '95 isn't going to be easy, let alone practicle.AD
who said im using that wiring?? and what makes a rig EEC-V or EEC-IV? im gonna guess the computer. im not using the EEC-V computer.

BTW, the ORIGINAL Y-pipe for the 1995-up 4.0 will bolt directly to the 2.9 Exhaust manifolds so
you don't need to monkey around with the exhaust systemAD

why would i use that exhaust with 3 O2 sencors when the 2.9 only had 1. look at the pics allan, the exh. is allready in.

If someone is doing something for misguided (Read idiotic) reasons it is our DUTY to disuade them from their proposed folly.AD
sooo, your callin me a IDIOT. and who are you? the ranger god,mr. know it all

Last edited:

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hmmm

EEC-IV is the best Ford EEC to choose for swaps, EEC-V is only a good swap if youíre going to use all its vehicle control functions

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
does anyone have a wiring diagram on what wire does what. the only thing i can find is a color code

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hopfully it will be runnin sunday:headbang:

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
WTF! I just posted something and for some reason the thread only had 6 responses when I read it. I was quoting someone from a long ways back.

Anyway, I hope everything runs well. Sheesh, not a swap I would look forward to but to each their own.

Last edited:

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
WTF! I just posted something and for some reason the thread only had 6 responses when I read it. I was quoting someone from a long ways back.

sooo,what was your comment

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Anyway, I hope everything runs well. Sheesh, not a swap I would look forward to but to each their own.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is what you said

Probably not the best thing to say with only 95 posts. I know I only have slightly more, but this is a FORUM where opinions are exchanged. We're basically trying to save the heartache of a huge loss in power and most likely a future of reduced reliability.

I personally wouldn't do the swap because that would be a LOT more effort trying to put a 2.9 in when you could find another 4.0.

As for doing the swap, it's the exact reverse of a 4.0 swap really. Check out 4.0 swap threads (there's a few on here) and reverse engineer it.

reverse engineer,huh. how can ya do that when the 2.9 wasent in a 95. A HUGE power loss??? and reduced reliability:icon_confused:,RIGHT

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
let the party begin:yahoo::headbang::beer::icon_thumby::icon_bounceblue::icon_cheers:

just need to clean things up,finish hookin up the exhaust,upper raid. hose.

this is for everyone that said that said" i wouldn't do the swap because that would be a LOT more effort trying to put a 2.9 in when you could find another 4.0." just because you had bad luck,put another 4.0 in it anyways, this is for you allan and all the others that said dont do it

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
the skip was just a cracked spark plug. she runs beauty

87rangerxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
good for toy ranger dave. some people should keep their comments to themselves

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
dude, you did it! awsome! if i ever wanted to swap to a V6, id use a 2.9 also, my 88 had a 2.9 that was reliable as hell.

Ranger Dave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Dash wiring will be the biggest obstacle. Normally you could just swap the dash, but the break line for dash swaps being nice was 92/93 MY. Worse yet, the Rangers got OBDII systems in 95, so that will be even more fun as the dash harness is different.
temp,oil pres,amp gauge and tach work,just need to hook up the speed sensor for the speeedO

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals