• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap

sjranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Are there any differences between computers and engine harnesses for 91-94 Explorer/Ranger 4.0's with manuals and automatics?

I have an '85 BII with a 2.8 and fm145 that I would like to put a 4.0 into. I am looking to keep it a stick, and was curious of the length of the M5OD to see if I'll need to get new shafts.

swamprat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes there is a difference between computers, ranger and explorer and manuals and auto

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The harness you REALLY want is from a 1990-92 Ranger

Second choice is a 1991-92 Explorer.
(Complexity)

Third choice (more complexity) is a 1993 Explorer harness

on your vehicle you do not want and really cannot use
a 1993-94 Ranger harness.

They completely re-arrainged the engine bay on the rangers for 1993.
The computer lives on the drivers side of the firewall, the battery is moved to the drivers side... it makes it an impossibly ugly job

AD

windsordeath

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking for a connector pinout...C116..Not in the EVTM..Maybe I could get some help?

The harness is 90' Ranger..

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The harness you REALLY want is from a 1990-92 Ranger

Second choice is a 1991-92 Explorer.
(Complexity)

Third choice (more complexity) is a 1993 Explorer harness

on your vehicle you do not want and really cannot use
a 1993-94 Ranger harness.

They completely re-arrainged the engine bay on the rangers for 1993.
The computer lives on the drivers side of the firewall, the battery is moved to the drivers side... it makes it an impossibly ugly job
I'm bumping this old thread to vet out if what's said above would also apply to my situation where I'll be putting a 4.0L into a manual transmission(T-9) 1989 Merkur Scorpio currently equipped with a 2.9. The 2.9 in the Scorpio is largely the same as the one from a similar-era Ranger, but certainly there are differences. The PCM is located the same as the '90-92 Ranger, in the passenger side cabin. However, unlike the Ranger, the EEC-IV harness is for the most part stand-alone from the body harness, so there's no way I can avoid cut & splicing. That's fine, I've done that sort of thing before.

Given the above, I think what Allan indicates above still applies for me, but a little less so since I'll be hacking up the donor harness regardless. There's some benefit to having the harness routed towards the passenger side, just to keep the routing the same. I realize that changed for the Ranger starting in 1993, but did the Explorer keep things over there through 1994?

I'm also thinking I'll have some flexibility in what PCM I use. I can move pins around and add/delete as needed. Ideally I'd use one with dual O2 inputs (one in each manifold), no EGR, and DCL, as found in the '93+ (I think) EEC-IV PCM's. Was there much movement in pin location between the years? I can and will check schematics when the time comes - just trying to get a general sense right now.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
A little more specific question.... Any issues using a '92 Ranger harness with a '94 Ranger engine? I'm assuming the sensors are pretty much all the same and in the same location, yes? No EGR being used, so nothing to worry about there.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I've got a 94 ranger engine with a 91 Explorer harness. It works well enough to keep the evil check engine light at bay.

DPDISXR4Ti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 94 ranger engine with a 91 Explorer harness. It works well enough to keep the evil check engine light at bay.
Okay, thanks, I was thinking they are all close enough. Perhaps the biggest thing to check is whether it's a one or two O2 sensor setup, but that can be added/omitted as needed. Which PCM are you running?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
92 Explorer

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals