• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It may well depend on what motor was in it, due to matching the transmission case

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't think BIIs even came with anything but a 2.8l or 2.9l V6, both used same block as 4.0l

So 1990-1994 4.0l with computer and engine wiring harness would be easiest swap, it will match transmission pattern in BII, but.................
If you can get the transmission with the 4.0l it will be a better setup, assuming both were 4x4, manual or auto

1995 and up 4.0l engine/computer can be used just adds extra layers of additional parts needed
1994 and earlier use OBD1 60 pin computer, 1995 and up used OBD2 104 wire computer

NickMBroncoII1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I have found a 1995 4.0 engine/computer and wiring harness. What are the extra layers of additional parts Ron?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
You’ll probably need the dash wiring for a 95 donor, that would have OBD2 and the scan tool connector is under the dash rather than the engine compartment. Not sure what else.

Either way you’re facing adapting a lot of wiring, even with a 90-94 donor. Hope you’re comfortable with wiring.

NickMBroncoII1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I think I will just bite the bullet and replace the heads on my 2.9. I've already got plenty of rebuild parts on the way. I was hoping the 4.0 swap would be easy. Are there any complete write ups on the to-do's on the 4.0 swap 91-94 models

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here's a general view of the tech articles, you can pick about any route you want from there

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I think I will just bite the bullet and replace the heads on my 2.9. I've already got plenty of rebuild parts on the way. I was hoping the 4.0 swap would be easy. Are there any complete write ups on the to-do's on the 4.0 swap 91-94 models
Unfortunately, the first gen (83-88) are less than ideal swaps to the 4.0 because the wiring harness is so different. The 89-92 had a different harness (89/90 for the B2) and since the 4.0 started in that generation, it’s almost a plug and play swap. Not so much on the older ones. By no means impossible, but a lot of people either don’t like wiring or shouldn’t be touching wiring.

Depends on what you’re after really. My choptop on 35” tires needed more engine, the 2.9 didn’t like it. So I went 4.0 with that. My 88 is going to run 31” tires max (probably 30” tires though) and not be more than a mild off-roader so the 2.9 is adequate (wiring isn’t really a problem for me). I’m intending on giving the 2.9 some help, free floating rockers and stuff. Think some mods to the 2.9 will make it work to suit my needs and I don’t have to do the wiring.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@NickMBroncoII1987 ,

I sourced an OHV 4.0l with SFI computer from a 94 Explorer, the complete engine bay and cab wire harness, all sensors, the dash and steering column for my 87 BRONCOII.

Though I prefer the original Gen1 dash, I wanted the install to be simple plug and play. After driving the Explorer, I pulled everything I felt would help. If you need the torque then going 4.0l is a nice option; great parts support, drops right.

4.0l Explorer swap ISSUES:
• wiring harness are runs different
• 4.0l steerting column needs the firewall cut for the shape difference.
• the OHV 4.0l does not have an adjustable valve train.
• the 4.0l will need more exhaust flow than the 2.9l.
• the 4.0l will use more fuel unless you take steps to make it more efficient.

Benefits of 2.9l:
• better fuel economy.
• adjustable valve train.
• no swap.

NickMBroncoII1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I'll be sticking with the 2.9. A few questions about the availability of parts...
Performance cam?
Newer style rocker arm setup?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I'll be sticking with the 2.9. A few questions about the availability of parts...
Performance cam?
Newer style rocker arm setup?
No performance cam out of the box, however I'm guessing yours is really worn. They were known for soft cams that eventually die.
Edit: actually, there may be a performance cam. I think. Check the Brit performance sites for Taunus/Cologne/Sierra/Merkur. I.... can't remember tho.

FE block lifters fit, so more non shitty lifter options out there.

I have a set of free floating rockers on mine. Haven't run it yet. Can't report.

They respond well to a microsquirt ecm. I have the base tune uploaded in the 2.9 forum. Factory ecms tune is poop.

Merkur intake leads to better throttle response.

Headers still exist. JBA are worth the coin.

Factory pistons and rods are capable of boost. Skogen Racing in Norway has Factory 2.9 blocks running 14+ psi with good tuning.

Guessing your heads are fine if it made it this far.

Last edited:

NickMBroncoII1987

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Im going to try and run the 2.8 pistons in the 2.9 motor with reground cam. A guy on here was telling me how to do this and now i cant find his messages. We assembled the rotating assembly the the bottom of the 2.8 pistons are hitting the crank... I assume i need to get the 2.8 rods as well? Or do i need to run a 2.8 crank?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Im going to try and run the 2.8 pistons in the 2.9 motor with reground cam. A guy on here was telling me how to do this and now i cant find his messages. We assembled the rotating assembly the the bottom of the 2.8 pistons are hitting the crank... I assume i need to get the 2.8 rods as well? Or do i need to run a 2.8 crank?
@gaz

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I've thought about the 2.8 pistons on my build. Forged pistons for the 2.9 don't exist.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals