• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap

Ranger707

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 ranger xlt 3.0 5spd 2wd and I came across a 94 explorer 4.0 auto 4wd I'm gonna get for super cheap. I originally was gonna buy the explorer just for the rear diff but I found out it has a 4.0 and I was just wondering how hard would it be to swap the 4.0 into my ranger. The 3.0 I have in my ranger still has a bit of life left in it so I don't really plan on doing it soon but how difficult would it be and would that motor work with the manual transmission?

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
You can use the engine, but you'll need a 4.0 specific transmission to go along with it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not really a great swap
If you want to stay with manual trans you would need to get one from a 1990-1997 4.0l 2wd(has speedometer cable hookup)
3.0l trans can't be made to bolt to 4.0l engine

The 4.0l computer will want to see an automatic trans connected, so you would need to get a 1993/1994 manual trans 4.0l computer

Overall I think you would be better off selling the 4.0l and trans and other parts from explorer
May be use that money towards a V8 swap, which is the same amount of work as any engine size swap, but way more of an upside

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Not really a great swap

I know I know....this is Highly subjective.

The ohv 4.0...if solid....is exactly that. Solid. Until the modern 2.3 ecoboost, it's the best engine ime....by a long shot for a stock to mid build rbv.

Of course.... I am a v8 guy. But intended goals are key. And for this application a ls swap is much better then a windsor swap if v8 power is the goal.

3.0l trans can't be made to bolt to 4.0l engine
In this case it is a waste to make an adapter as it's much easier to get a 4.0 trans...

you can bolt a 3.0 trans to a vw diesel.. adapting it to anything else is just that....

i would run the explorer powertrain intact if it's the two speed t case...and fit a rear driveshaft ...

for moving trailers around...the 2wd low would be epic. Since they are both 94,s wiring and fueling isn't too bad. And the powertrain is a bolt in save for the rear drive shaft....and one of them works...I just do not remember the combination.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
i would run the explorer powertrain intact if it's the two speed t case...and fit a rear driveshaft ...

for moving trailers around...the 2wd low would be epic. Since they are both 94,s wiring and fueling isn't too bad. And the powertrain is a bolt in save for the rear drive shaft....and one of them works...I just do not remember the combination.
using the driveshaft for the 4x4 version of the truck with the same wheelbase as yours would be what you're after.

Ranger707

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Well thanks. I would definitely like to do a v8 swap if I could. I was just considering the 4.0 because I'm gonna get the truck for super cheap.

Could I use the rear diff from the explorer on my ranger though? I know I'd have to move the shock mounting brackets and get bigger U-bolts, but is there anything else I would have to worry about being the explorer is automatic 4wd?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
using the driveshaft for the 4x4 version of the truck with the same wheelbase as yours would be what you're after.

Usually it's livable to do that.....but Not always. Generally you have to adjust pinion for perfection...and if it is lowered or low....trimming the yoke and splines can happen....

Of course...I consider those details common sense...

But ... Looking around lately...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You also need to cut and re-weld the spring perches

Look here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index-axles.shtml

Then look at both Explorer axle swaps, i.e. with cutting and welding and without, to see what works best for your goal

Manual or automatic trans doesn't effect the type of rear axle used

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
Well thanks. I would definitely like to do a v8 swap if I could. I was just considering the 4.0 because I'm gonna get the truck for super cheap.

Could I use the rear diff from the explorer on my ranger though? I know I'd have to move the shock mounting brackets and get bigger U-bolts, but is there anything else I would have to worry about being the explorer is automatic 4wd?

If your not going super low rider...you have to get or make a flip kit or put new perches on the exploder axle....this let's you dial pinion angle perfectly...

With the flip kit and leaving the oem pads in place ...you can bolt in the explorer axle using two left side plate/shock mounts from an explorer with no welding and 5/8 bolts after you drill the holes out.

With both complete vehicles. Not hard to do with medium skills

Ranger707

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I actually lifted it 4 inches and want to run a 31 or 32 inch tire. I currently have a 235/75r15 now so it's not much bigger but like I said I'm getting it for super cheap. And the explorer has the traction locker which would be nice to have. It has 3.73 gears as well which I also think would work good with the 31 or 32s

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals