• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap ?'s not in the FAQ

geoph1986

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Fuk'd 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1983 Ranger 4x4, 4spd, 2.8l:sad:

I've been away researching and looking for a good donor for my 4.0 OHV swap. I've been told that the ideal candidate would be a 1991-1994 explorer/ranger (because of wiring). My problem is that I'm having a hard time finding a donor that old with low km's.

I know that the 4.0 OHV was used in rangers from 1990-2000 and in explorers from 1991-2000 with the 4.0 SOHC as an option starting in 1997.

I see 1995+ explorers/rangers with lower km's at insurance auctions almost every week.

So, while I've been looking and reading, I've been getting my truck ready for the transplant. Then I got reading some more, and decided that a dash swap wouldn't be a bad idea as my current one is cracked up, and the wiring behind it is a real rats nest as it has been cut, spliced, cut again, spliced, etc.

Now here's my questions.

Since I'm ready and willing to remove all the wiring from front to back (this way everything should be plug and play) am I still limited to the 1991-1994 explorer/ranger?

Will a newer dash swap in as easily as the gen2 dash?

Do I need to connect the air bags?

Will the explorer fuel tank fit between my frame rails?

If there are any points of interest that I have missed or questions I should have asked please let me know. I know that I could easily repair a different vehicle for a lot less work...but I have a stupid sentimental attachment to this truck.

Thanx in advance,
Geoph

P.S.
I'm also still toying with the idea of a fullsize drive train (motor, trans, & Tcase) in my lil' truck. There is a ton of info on 5.0l swaps but I have found very little on doing it with full size Tcase. If anyone can point me to a site that has a write up on it that would be awesome.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals