• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 SOHC

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@RonD
Used a SplitCrowsFoot socket during my last O2 Sensor change; worked great!
Though don't have a lot of corrosion due to salt here & soaked sensor+bung threads with penetrant overnite before taking them out.

Mike Tonon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I changed my rear tensioner today at 118,000 miles. I noticed some wear on the old one, but they both had about the same amount of tension. I DID NOT prime it, first, as I was in a hurry and didn’t have access to oil. Some people actually say not to. It clacked a little upon startup, but not much. I used about 18” of extensions and popped the first push pin out of the inner shield to get at it. Just had to push up on the fender liner a little.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would have pulled the 4 wire coil connector first then cranked engine over for 10 seconds to "prime it"

Then do the start up

You can also do the same using Clear Flooded Engine routine
Key on
Press gas pedal down to the floor and hold it down all the way(turns off injectors)
Crank engine for 10 seconds
Release gas pedal and injectors will start up

I do this every morning when starting my high mile 4.0l OHV, gets the oil pumped thru system and then I let it start, cuts out the ticking of the older engines lifters, because the oil drains out of them now when it sits over 8 hours or so

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have just held the gas peddle in and cranked it for 15-30 seconds when I did mine. Then let of the gas and let it idle.

Riverguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Change out the tensioners on a regular schedule, problem solved.

5r55e in my 97 lasted close to 300K miles, keep fluid / filter changed. I believe yours should have some sort of variant of that transmission. You never know how long something will last so take care of it and address the known problems / required maintenance, usually things work out just fine if you do that.

Enjoy your truck rather than fretting about it. ;)
My 2004 Ranger 4.0 V6 transmission is due for a drain and filter replacement. Do you know why I can buy the filter and pan gasket kit at Napa (or any other A/P store) for less than $20 and the dealer wants $65 for them? $28 just for the gasket! I like to buy OEM parts for my vehicles, but this is nuts. Is there a reason to buy the Ford parts for this?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My 2004 Ranger 4.0 V6 transmission is due for a drain and filter replacement. Do you know why I can buy the filter and pan gasket kit at Napa (or any other A/P store) for less than $20 and the dealer wants $65 for them? $28 just for the gasket! I like to buy OEM parts for my vehicles, but this is nuts. Is there a reason to buy the Ford parts for this?
ford uses and steel and rubber gasket, it’s supposed to be reusable, but on an older vehicle that has not been touched in a while it may be work to replace.

The gasket you get at the parts store is just a plane rubber gasket.

At the very least the motorcraft gasket is a lot easier to install because it doesn’t keep curling up and falling into the transmission pan.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
But if you like to buy tools, the crows foot flare nut wrenches can be good for O2s
O2s are 22mm but 7/8's also fits
Don't try using an open ended wrench you will just round off the nut
You CAN cut the wires off the old O2 and slide on a closed end wrench or deep socket
Or use a flare nut wrench
You're going to disconnect the wires to install the new O2 sensor anyways. Once the wires are disconnected, you can slip a closed end wrench on.
I found the sensors were never in a location that would permit a O2 socket/deep socket. And 22mm closed end wrench is substantial enough when hit wit BFH to loosen most.​

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I have a couple different O2 sensor tools. Seems like this one see the most action.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Once the wires are disconnected, you can slip a closed end wrench on.
I had an issuee with a GM I had were the connector was too big to fit through the box end, but there is no reason not to just cut the wires off if you are replacing the sensor anyway.

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Small Omission:
adsm08 said above (in part),"Don't get too down on your truck right away....most... people only complain.. about things that went wrong... because they...need help fixing it, or...someone to take care of it...you hear about the thousands of problems.....you don't hear about the few million times the problem DIDN'T happen."

Worth remembering are people who pound the living daylights out of EVERYTHING they touch. For these people neglecting oil changes is automatic. Don't forget their 2,000rpm cold startups!

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals