• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Rough engine around 1500rpm

yakangler

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
'03 4.0L 5spd SOHC

Haven't run the Ranger since the beginning of winter and just started it up again after a fresh battery recharge.

It starts up fine but will sometimes stall out at idle or drop below 500rpm and stutter but then come back to a good idle. Around 1500rpm the engine shakes and past that it feels fine. The fuel trims look ok but I get pending codes for lean bank1 and bank2 sensors. I can drive it around the block but running it around the 1500rpm mark when shifting causes violent shaking and almost wants to cut off.

Steps I've taken so far:
Intake filter and intake all the way to the throttle body is free of debris.
Cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner and it looks fine, ODBII shows good g/s rates and they change as I apply throttle.
Unplugged the IAC as it was running and it stalls/nearly stalls if I plug it back in quickly.
Sprayed carb cleaner all around the engine and vacuum lines and no spike in RPM which would lead to a vacuum leak.
EGR vacuum top tube no vacuum at idle and no change if I plug it with my finger
PCV valve feels fine but I have not taken it off to check

I attempted to check the fuel pressure but I could not find a schrader valve on the fuel rail besides a small valve at the back near cylinder 1 but the valve was too small for the fuel pressure gauge I rented from AutoZone.

I think tomorrow I'm going to replace the fuel filter but at this point I'm stumped. If any ideas let me know!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals