Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I race asphalt circle track with a 89 Ranger powered by a 96 Explorer 4.0L. I recently changed my differential gear to a 4.56 and now the engine hits the rev limiter. This gear works wonders out of the corner and I dont want to change back.

I need to know what if any programer or chip will work the best for a 96 ECU. Ive also been told to use a ECU for a manual trans. Are there different rev limiters in different ECUs?

Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: CFB3B5F7F32B37 Expires: March 30, 2020

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't believe the rev limiters are different between manual and automatic transmissions. However, with the new gears, you might have some weird shift points on an automatic -- the 3-4 shifts and TCC lockup are controlled by the computer. Using a manual transmission computer with an automatic transmission would defeat these! Seems to be a bad idea...

Yes, there are a number of programmers that can remove the rev limiter on EEC-V. Pick your fave.

Monzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Im only using the engine from the Explorer. The transmission is the stock AL4D from the 89 Ranger. I leave it in 2nd gear and have eliminated the vacuum modulator to eliminate any upshift. I have no time to shift.

I had heard that the Ranger manual trans ECU from an EEC-V had a different ignition advance curve and ignores transmission inputs due to lack of automatic trans. Since I have not connected any wire harness to the trans, I figured if it was an advantage Id change the ECU to a Ranger manual instead of a Explorer automatic.

Ive never purchased a programer or chip for a DIS vehicle before. I understand that programers have more options and are adjustable verses a chip which is pre-programmed. I dont know what companies have good reputations. Jet. Hypertech. Diablo. This is what I need advice for.

What is my rev-limiter set at anyways? 6000rpm? 6500rpm?

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
OHV 4.0 is limited to 4,900.

Monzilla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
YUCK!! That is horrible.

Jeepman401

Reaction score
Im only using the engine from the Explorer. The transmission is the stock AL4D from the 89 Ranger. I leave it in 2nd gear and have eliminated the vacuum modulator to eliminate any upshift. I have no time to shift.

I had heard that the Ranger manual trans ECU from an EEC-V had a different ignition advance curve and ignores transmission inputs due to lack of automatic trans. Since I have not connected any wire harness to the trans, I figured if it was an advantage Id change the ECU to a Ranger manual instead of a Explorer automatic.

Ive never purchased a programer or chip for a DIS vehicle before. I understand that programers have more options and are adjustable verses a chip which is pre-programmed. I dont know what companies have good reputations. Jet. Hypertech. Diablo. This is what I need advice for.

What is my rev-limiter set at anyways? 6000rpm? 6500rpm?
Bama is a good choice, but for your application, naything that will allow you to move the rev limiter