• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 ranger donor or 4.0 explorer?

951dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hello! I have a 1994 2.3L 5 speed standard cab short bed. It is on its last limb due to 344k miles and I am planning a swap soon. I am trying to decide on what I am going to do. I want to go with a 4.0L, but with some research I have learned that rangers came with OHV and Explorers had SOHC. I want to go with the SOHC because it puts out more power, but I wanted to know what all I have to do for either swap. I plan on using the wiring harness, engine, and transmission out of the donor vehicle. If I go with the explorer will everything fit in nicely? Will I need to convert anything such as fuel lines? Will my ranger pedals work with the throttle cable and the clutch? Please help me out with this information. Thank you!

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The sohc was available in rangers too. It was just later than when it came out in the explorer. Everything with the sohc should be obd2 so be prepared for lots of wires. Might be easier in your case. IDK if the Ranger was already OBD2 in 94 or not. I wanna say not.

951dangerranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
The sohc was available in rangers too. It was just later than when it came out in the explorer. Everything with the sohc should be obd2 so be prepared for lots of wires. Might be easier in your case. IDK if the Ranger was already OBD2 in 94 or not. I wanna say not.

Thanks man! Yeah i want to keep it between 95-99. My ranger is OBD1. Should be fine right?

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Being OBD1 in your truck, you might look into swapping the dash along with the wiring. Seems to me that would be easier.

Basically remove every part that has a wire going to it and swap with your donor.

BTW, get a donor. It'll be far cheaper (and simpler) in the long run than trying to get all of your parts one at a time.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The Ranger firewall went through some big changes in 1995. You can't just bolt a 95+ dash into your truck.

A 90 to 94 Ranger is your optimum donor in terms of plug and play compatibility, but that means a pushrod engine in the donor.

On the other hand, I have seen a few places on here where guys have plugged the SOHC engines into OHV harnesses and computers and they ran without too much trouble.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
On the other hand, I have seen a few places on here where guys have plugged the SOHC engines into OHV harnesses and computers and they ran without too much trouble.
That should become more an more common as older OHV engines dry up in the salvage yards. There was a time when I considered it. Then I got a diagram of the timing chain setup in the SOHC.:icon_surprised:

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
That should become more an more common as older OHV engines dry up in the salvage yards. There was a time when I considered it. Then I got a diagram of the timing chain setup in the SOHC.:icon_surprised:
what, you not a fan of pulling the motor to do timing chains? :D

Hitchner2009

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I personally would go with the OHV 4.0 over the SOHC. You may have more power with the SOHC, but the headaches of wiring and converting to a SOHC are far more painful than with the 4.0. Plus the SOHC motor has those horrible timing chain problems on quiet a few. ADSM would be able to tell you exactly what years, but i know for awhile the timing chains were horrible on them. I would much rather replace Rocker Arms and Pushrods on an OHV than timing chains. Just my 2 cents.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals