• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV V6 light performance "optimization" build

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Looking for any advice on a build I'm looking to do. My rangers stock 4.0 is getting pretty worn out at almost 250k miles. I'm looking to get a junkyard engine and rebuild it in my spare time (I work a full time job as a engine machinist so i have access to the equipment) I'm mainly looking to "optimize" the performance rather than boost it much. In saying this I mean things like improving factory flow with a port and polish as well as upgraded heads. what other mods would you all suggest? looking for closer to 200hp than 100 ;). I have considered maybe the 410 or 422 cam: what other mods would have to be made to accommodate those and what are the benefits of each.

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Im pretty sure about the 422 cam at this point as it seems it doesnt have much of a downside compared to the 410. I am still unsure if stock valves will work? any info about that?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think the stock valves will work but some guys had to run double springs with the 422 cam or something to that affect.

IIRC the 95TM heads are what you will want, if you can find them.

My buddy built a 4.0 that was bored .030 over and had some other style piston in it (think SOHC pistons maybe?) and 93TM heads, otherwise totally stock with a small increase in compression from the pistons. Really made for a nice running engine.

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think the stock valves will work but some guys had to run double springs with the 422 cam or something to that affect.

IIRC the 95TM heads are what you will want, if you can find them.

My buddy built a 4.0 that was bored .030 over and had some other style piston in it (think SOHC pistons maybe?) and 93TM heads, otherwise totally stock with a small increase in compression from the pistons. Really made for a nice running engine.
thats exactly waht im looking for just a nice well running engine with a little more power. I was planning on doing dual springs and a full port and polish(some people say for port and polish the 98tm is better?) i had just heard that stock valves are 2 piece and the heads can break off.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I am not the most knowledgeable about all the technical details so you might be right about the valves.

Supposedly the 95TM/97TM heads are the way to go with the small chambers and large exhaust ports. I found this recently that was kind of enlightening:

40HeadInfo.jpg

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am not the most knowledgeable about all the technical details so you might be right about the valves.

Supposedly the 95TM/97TM heads are the way to go with the small chambers and large exhaust ports. I found this recently that was kind of enlightening:

View attachment 79721
Thats actually super helpful. I do know through my work i can get aftermarket heads that are less prone to cracking. Im pretty sure most of the aftermarket heads are based on the 98tm but if i can get the 95/97tm heads in aftermarket that might be a better way to go

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I don't think that any of them are really "bad" heads as far as cracking goes except for the 90TM ones maybe. That said I have almost 200k on mine and my buddy down the street has over that on his...still going strong. Cooling system maintenance is just more important IMO.

Where are you finding aftermarket heads at just out of curiosity?

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't think that any of them are really "bad" heads as far as cracking goes except for the 90TM ones maybe. That said I have almost 200k on mine and my buddy down the street has over that on his...still going strong. Cooling system maintenance is just more important IMO.

"bad" is relative ig lol. Since i work in a engine building shop we see the most common failures of engines. as a point of reference we have shop cores of heads for almost every head we work on... except the 4.0l because every head we work on has been cracked. not sure the location because its thru the shop but i think its EPWI could be wrong but i do know thats where we get a lot of our parts. i can ask my boss tuesday and update you https://epwi.net is the website link but its something you have to register to have access too. we have been a part of the engine builders association for like 20 years so we do have access to lower prices and websites that most people dont. that said i can easily get pretty much any spec for any of the ranger engines easily for anyone that needs it through PROSIS our shop program.

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

As a matter of fact if you all would find it helpful i can make a post of the specs (things like valve lash compression etc) for all the engines available in rangers as well as all if any of the TSBs and tips for little upgrades

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
As a matter of fact if you all would find it helpful i can make a post of the specs (things like valve lash compression etc) for all the engines available in rangers as well as all if any of the TSBs and tips for little upgrades
@Jim Oaks

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Yes please.

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes please.
PSA IF ANYONE NEEDS A SPECIFIC SPEC, MEASUREMENT OR WANTS TO KNOW HOW TO MEASURE SOMETHING JUST LET ME KNOW AND I AM HAPPY TO HELP BOTH PRIVATELY OVER DM OR ON A FORUM POST
i realized after looking today aver the almost 40 years of rangers theres a lot of engine specs lol. Most of them are probably not usefull to the layman that doesnt have the equiptment to measure them anyway. i will start with the 4.0 ohv since i already have all those specs and i will just do basic things like bore specs installed stem height and torque specs. just as a
i will see if i can get the specs for the 4.0 up tonight

KevinSonOfDad

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Posts are both up now and i will be adding stuff later tonight (gotta pack for a canyoneering adventure this week 😎) as previously stated i will just put down the basics for now and add stuff as people ask for it to save me some time

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@KevinSonOfDad ,

What is your current OHV 4.0l optimizing plan ..)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals