• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV to 4.0 OHC swap

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So... as we all know, the probability of finding a good "used" 4.0 OHV engine is becoming scarce as time goes on. Where I am, the OHV engine are rare to say the least... BUT!... the availability of the OHC engines is becoming a more tantalizing and readily available idea.
I'm wondering if anyone has looked into swapping an OHC into where an OHV was (I'm sure some rocket surgeon has). I'm looking into it here as my OHV is getting up in age and not what it used to be. Also, a local/body shop has a wrecked Explorer with an OHC showing low mileage on the clock.
Looking in the tech area, there are all kinds of swaps... but no OHV to OHC articles.
Anyone care to shine some light on this idea? I'm looking for information on the fitment (will it physically fit in my Explorer easily)... electrical (can I use my 94 ecm)... and any other tid bit of information that may seem totally irrelevant but possibly useful.
Thanks guys! I know SOMEONE will have some information!

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I've got a friend that's been toying with the same idea recently, we've had one on a stand and have been looking at it, (ended up getting a decent one for next to nothing) bellhousing is the same with the exception of the topmost passenger side bolt hole location but I don't think leaving it out will cause harm. Coilpack is the same as the ohv motors, you're going to need to find an early version to get the return style fuel rails and injectors, plus swap some sensors but it's definately doable to make it run off of your eecIV computer.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
From what I can tell... and what I have found is sketchy at best... is that it "SHOULD" bolt in. I do know that I will need the engine as a complete drop in including manifolds and front accessory drives. People on a few of the desert racing scene have done the swap... but used the newer engine management systems, but it comes with a price... programming... (96 and 97 come without the PATS system).
My bigger questions are will it fit (I don't want to start swapping HVAC systems) and will it work with my EEC-IV management (I don't want to start pining wires). I'm also wondering if by using the OHC exhaust manifolds, will they bolt to my factory exhaust... or do I need to swap converter pipes and complete exhaust. (the newer OHC uses four O2 sensors).
As far as hooking up the sensors, I know my 94 has a cam shaft sensor and there is some discrepancies as to weather the wires will plug into the OHC sensor. Another difference is the "newer" OHC engines came with two different injectors, 24 lb/hr and a smaller size (the larger are Flex fuel ones). As far as the rest, it "seems" as if it's a plug and play idea.
I do have two things going for me though... the whole vehicle is there and not too many people around here are looking for anything to do with Explorer parts. The other part of this is, the guy wants it pulled apart and I would get the engine and whatever else I may need for pennies on the dollar.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I'm wondering if anyone has looked into swapping an OHC into where an OHV was (I'm sure some rocket surgeon has). I'm looking into it here as my OHV is getting up in age and not what it used to be. Also, a local/body shop has a wrecked Explorer with an OHC showing low mileage on the clock.
Looking in the tech area, there are all kinds of swaps... but no OHV to OHC articles.
Anyone care to shine some light on this idea? I'm looking for information on the fitment (will it physically fit in my Explorer easily)... electrical (can I use my 94 ecm)... and any other tid bit of information that may seem totally irrelevant but possibly useful.
Thanks guys! I know SOMEONE will have some information!
I must be a rocket surgeon. :icon_thumby:

There are a few people who have managed to finish this swap, You have to really look for the threads. This isnt a 5.0l swap, there isnt one on every corner. Here are a few links that will help:

http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35258

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159001

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336439

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
From what I can tell... and what I have found is sketchy at best... is that it "SHOULD" bolt in....

Yes it will bolt in. You need to use the OHV motor mount brackets on the SOHC block and your stock OHV mounts.

My bigger questions are will it fit (I don't want to start swapping HVAC systems) and will it work with my EEC-IV management (I don't want to start pining wires).
If you dont want to do all that, this is not the swap for you. It takes a lot of wiring work and yes, you will have to mod the sh!t out of the HVAC.

F150hybred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you dont want to do all that, this is not the swap for you. It takes a lot of wiring work and yes, you will have to mod the sh!t out of the HVAC.
Well, seeing as we see both ends of the temperature spectrum here... I would prefer to keep the HVAC working properly. Not having much heat at -35c and minimal AC at +35c would sure put a damper on the "fun" factor.

I'm wondering if I got the heat plenum assembly from the newer Explorer, would it make the install any more plausible, <--- thanks you Mythbusters for that!

Also... I did read through those links put up... kinda confusing at times. :icon_twisted:

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm wondering if I got the heat plenum assembly from the newer Explorer, would it make the install any more plausible, <--- thanks you Mythbusters for that!

Also... I did read through those links put up... kinda confusing at times. :icon_twisted:
You cant just swap in the HVAC box from a newer Ex. You need the firewall and dash to go with it.

I really should do a full write up on my swap, It really wasnt that hard.

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You cant just swap in the HVAC box from a newer Ex. You need the firewall and dash to go with it.

I really should do a full write up on my swap, It really wasnt that hard.

please

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
A friend of mine (who is a member on here) is finishing up his swap in a 95 ranger, He's planning on doing a writeup as soon as he ties up the loose ends. Stay tuned

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
as holyford86 has said... a fellow member on here has been busy the past few weeks, aka ME! OHC is a FIT.. mine runs.. as you were, i saw a lotta info on doing it but people really couldn't give a definite answer on some of the questions. your stock y pipe will bolt up. your going to have to get creative with your engine harness and cant be afraid to do some cutting and soldering.. the 2 HUGE problems i ran into was the oil pan and manifold.. the oil pan hits the TTB crossmember so i took my plasma cutter and notched it to clear the oil pan. . 2nd the manifolds on 02 newer rangers/explorers with the big box intake the exhaust studs are about 3/8 of an inch wider vs the older 97-98 manifolds.. again i notched them and got them to bolt up.. the pass side frame clearence between the manifold was PAPER thin so i added a little clearence.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals