• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV oil pan removed; next steps...

e21pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I raised the engine and was able to drop the pan in my effort to replace the leaking pan gasket.

Now with the pan off, I wonder if there is anything else I should do like torque the bolts on the bottom or replace the oil pump? The engine has 265K but is still running very well. I wonder if I should mess with anything or just leave well enough alone and put the pan back on with the new gasket.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: F9A1A579ACFAD1: October 1st, 2021

Shran

Junk Collector
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I wouldn't go torquing anything, best to leave well enough alone if it's lasted that long. New oil pump wouldn't hurt though.

Pull your dipstick out before you put the pan back on. I got one stuck between the block and pan one time because I couldn't see it and cracked the pan while tightening the bolts.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011 & 2019
Make / Model
Ford XLT & FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC & 2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.5R15 & 265/65R17
My credo
I work in fuel tanks for a living. Don't judge me!
And clean the heck out of the sealing surfaces. Make them clean enough to eat off of. Especially if you have to use any RTV to seal key areas between the block and the pan.