• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV Motor Mounts

e21pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do the OEM motor mounts in a 1992 4.0 OHV 2wd Ranger last the life of the truck? I'm going to lift the motor to fix an oil pan leak and wondered if I should do the mounts at the same time since they would be easy. They are almost 30 years old with 250 K miles on them but I haven't noticed that the engine rocks excessively. Is there a good brand of after market mount out there?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Anchor seems to be the most popular motor mount for our trucks right now....... they are OK quality and fairly cheap.

Dunno if I'd bother replacing them. If they're loose or jiggle around a lot when you've got the engine weight off them, go ahead and replace. Otherwise I might not. They OEM ones seem to be very sturdy and I've not seen many failures.

e21pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Speaking of lifting the motor, the 4.0 OHV seems like a small enough block and the oil pan looks to be reinforced although it is made of aluminum. I wonder if the flat part of the pan by the drain plug is strong enough to handle the weight of the motor if I lift it there with my floor jack?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Speaking of lifting the motor, the 4.0 OHV seems like a small enough block and the oil pan looks to be reinforced although it is made of aluminum. I wonder if the flat part of the pan by the drain plug is strong enough to handle the weight of the motor if I lift it there with my floor jack?
:stop:

I'd feel safer lifting from a flimsy sheet metal pan than an aluminum one. That 30 year old aluminum is likely to crack.

e21pilot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I started to setup to lift the motor and after I took the flex plate off, I noticed a lot of oil around the rear main and also some rust under the top frost plug in the block.
I had the rear-main replaced just last year and am surprised to see it wet around the seal. Is there an upgraded seal available for 4.0 OHV? I think I might also replace
the rear frost plug. Does anyone know the size (metric i assume) or p/n for the large plug?

It also looks like someone put RTV over the plan gasket in the area of the crank probably to address the pan leak. Good think I planned to replace the pan gasket anyway.

It appears there is a leak from the oil filter housing to the block as well. It's hard to see how the oil filter housing comes off the block. Does anyone have a pic of it?
I expect it has 2-3 bolts and a gasket.

I do see several leaks but I can't complain. The engine is almost 30 years old with 260K and still running very strong.

IMG_6069.JPG

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals