• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV as an overland engine

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have to agree with what's been said above, the 2.9L and 4.0L are more similar than different. Mine's been flawless as for reliability (excepting for extraneous crap like a blown alternator), and it's easily got over 300K on it now (and I'm not particularly nice to it either).

The 4.0L swap would make sense if yours has issues that require a rebuild (low compression, worn cam, bearings, oil burning, etc.), and is what I intend to do with mine, should the 2.9 ever quit. But reliability alone IMO isn't a good reason to swap. Both engines are great in that department if you keep on top of your cooling system maintenance.

Another aspect is parts
2.9l was used from 1986 to 1992, 6 years
4.0l OHV was used from 1990-2000, 10 years
302 was used from 1968 to 2001, 33 years
You're one year off each time
1986-1992 is seven model years of production, and so on.

Your point still stands though (however I would question how many similarities a 2001 engine would have with a 1968 engine... Many things will have changed simply due to fuel injection, emissions, and other improvements over the years, meaning things like sensors and other components will be specific to a much narrower set of model years).

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oops, forgot to carry the ONE, since there was no ZERO :)

ecgreen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
I have to agree with what's been said above, the 2.9L and 4.0L are more similar than different. Mine's been flawless as for reliability (excepting for extraneous crap like a blown alternator), and it's easily got over 300K on it now (and I'm not particularly nice to it either).

The 4.0L swap would make sense if yours has issues that require a rebuild (low compression, worn cam, bearings, oil burning, etc.), and is what I intend to do with mine, should the 2.9 ever quit. But reliability alone IMO isn't a good reason to swap. Both engines are great in that department if you keep on top of your cooling system maintenance.

You're one year off each time
1986-1992 is seven model years of production, and so on.

Your point still stands though (however I would question how many similarities a 2001 engine would have with a 1968 engine... Many things will have changed simply due to fuel injection, emissions, and other improvements over the years, meaning things like sensors and other components will be specific to a much narrower set of model years).
The 2.9 ain't dead yet and I do plan on running it until it dies. Compression is decent and it doesn't burn much oil at all.I run a 4.0 radiator and it stays cool no problem. I have a rattle from 2500 to 3000 RPMs that has me baffled. I am guessing is lifters. If so, then its new cam and new valve train. At that point, I might consider the swap more seriously.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The 2.9 ain't dead yet and I do plan on running it until it dies. Compression is decent and it doesn't burn much oil at all.I run a 4.0 radiator and it stays cool no problem. I have a rattle from 2500 to 3000 RPMs that has me baffled. I am guessing is lifters. If so, then its new cam and new valve train. At that point, I might consider the swap more seriously.
It’s a 2.9L... if it’s not rattling, it’s not running.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I really do love my V8 swapped truck but the thought of leaving about a hundred mile radius of my house with it makes me very nervous. I used parts from sooooo many vehicles, some of which I don't even remember now...that's why I built my Explorer for out of state travel... everything is either stock '92 parts except the rear axle.
My truck is the same way... it is as good as anything else in my fleet. I have parts from 8 vehicles in just the air filter assembly.

Two years ago I drove it from an hour east of Omaha to an hour west of Pittsburgh. Last year I drove it from an hour from Omaha to just into Indiana. Hoping to do it again this year.

Half wore out $200 302 uses a bit of oil but runs great, 18mpg and it didn't miss a beat. It took a lot of work but I have no regrets.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My truck is the same way... it is as good as anything else in my fleet. I have parts from 8 vehicles in just the air filter assembly.

Two years ago I drove it from an hour east of Omaha to an hour west of Pittsburgh. Last year I drove it from an hour from Omaha to just into Indiana. Hoping to do it again this year.

Half wore out $200 302 uses a bit of oil but runs great, 18mpg and it didn't miss a beat. It took a lot of work but I have no regrets.
I wish mine was like yours. I'm just used to breaking down... a lot... I guess I did daily drive it a whole winter a few years back when my 4 cylinder was at the machine shop and it didn't let me down then...

Someday I should do a cross country trip with it and have someone follow me, lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wish mine was like yours. I'm just used to breaking down... a lot... I guess I did daily drive it a whole winter a few years back when my 4 cylinder was at the machine shop and it didn't let me down then...
I suspect you probably go looking for a little more trouble than I do too. I avoid the deep water and big rocks... after I get done playing I have to drive it 10+ hours back home. But your truck is much more of a crawler than mine too...

As far as staying stock, while nothing is actually stock I kinda did. It is basically a F-150 in a smaller wrapper down to the tire size.

Someday I should do a cross country trip with it and have someone follow me, lol
Never a bad idea with an older vehicle. I had my FIL follow me in '19 in case I had problems because it was like a month after I wrapped up a t-case/tran/front axle swap. Last year I had three butts and two seats so he had to tag along again. No security blanket tow pig if I had problems, he was pulling a camper that time because it was going to be cold and we had our 9mo with. This year if everything works out I will be convoying with my wife and her new Bronco.

Always looking to expand our convoy to the Roundup @Shran... its not that far down to here. :icon_idea:

And OP, I know you said you didn't want a V8, and I am not trying to sway you. Not sure exactly what to call this but I am not trying to derail your 2.9 -> 4.0 swap thing. If you want more info on a 5.0 don't keep it to yourself otherwise I am really going to try to stay quiet about it. No guarantees but I am going to try :dntknw:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals