• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 missfire /bucking

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
So first off its a 00 ranger xl with. 4.0 with about 190000 miles.
It all started about a week ago my fiance drove it hoe from work and said it was running bad so I checked it out, from a cold start it sounds OK at idle but with a slight miss, then when u put it in gear it really runs bad kind of starts to buck. When u move on down the road it runs like crap til it gets to operating temp and go a few more miles it starts to smooth out.

Now it seems to be getting worse, this is what I've tried so far,

Heet in that gas
Mass air flow sensor
Coil pack
Wires and plugs are only a few months old
I put a 0s sensor in it cranked it up and brove it around the block and didn't help to I look it back out
I've checked air filter
Tightened intake hoses
Reset the computer a few times after replacing coil pack and mas

Also truck has small coolant leak from the vacuum thing the goes to the heater core.

Any ideas? THANKS FOR READING AND UR TIME

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I put it on a scanner at work and I got a p0306 and like a p0141 and a p0136 I think that's what they were , anyway they were like bank 1 something to do with the o2 sensors and every one who's what a 306 is haha,
Just thought I'd add that
Maybe the cats are stopped up, because after only driving like 5 miles after turning her off it seems like it makes some louder than normal pinging coming from the exhaust.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Honestly sounds like an EGR valve problem...

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Where is the egr on the 00s ranger. It doesn't look like a normal egr does it .

And thanks for the reply blinker88

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I just checked and my truck don't have one its even been capped on the exhaust manifold

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I put it on a scanner at work and I got a p0306 and like a p0141 and a p0136 I think that's what they were , anyway they were like bank 1 something to do with the o2 sensors and every one who's what a 306 is haha,
Just thought I'd add that
Maybe the cats are stopped up, because after only driving like 5 miles after turning her off it seems like it makes some louder than normal pinging coming from the exhaust.
Those 2 codes are for your Bank 1 downstream sensor. That sensor should not be causing your issue. I would focus on the cylinder 6 misfire. Check the plug, wire, injector, compression, etc. I also would keep checking for codes.

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The plug looks to be fine. I took off the 6 wire to see if it would change anything and it got alotworse . I thinking now that it might be a head gasket issue because there is some oily like stuff in the bottom of the coolant tank. And the oil on the dip stick is getting higher and a light brown ish color . Also when u start it it has a lot of white smock coming out the tail pipe than normal, I know its a little cold but still.

christw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 MT
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, that might be a head gasket. Have you got a compression tester? When you pulled the plug was there any fluid in the cylinder? My truck had a cracked head when it bought it and those symptoms sound similar.

Last edited:

wynnespeed

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995 and 2000
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I took the intake (upper and lower) and they were nasty looking. . And when I got the valve covers off I find I oily milky mess.. although I have not got the heads off but everything on it seems too easy the remove even the exhaust manifold wasn't I pain, almost like someone has done it before on this truck.. I'm thinking the heads are cracked or worp. Good news is my buddy has a 4.0 out of a 92 exploder that I'm getting for dirt cheap. If I swap the intakes will there be any wiring issues?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals