• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 liter engine performance mods

Stinker12100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What are some easy ways to get some extra power out of the 4 liter v6 in my 97? Thanks to anyon who helps.

bquin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
I rcently cleaned my MAF sensor with an aerosol cleaner and removed the mesh in the aluminum housing and was pleasantly surprised at the power and mileage improvement

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
headers, intake, exhaust, supercharger kits, stroker kits, cams, heads. You name it man.

theres very little companys that make parts, but there is plenty of performance options.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
headers, intake, exhaust, supercharger kits, stroker kits, cams, heads. You name it man.

theres very little companys that make parts, but there is plenty of performance options.
Headers/Intake/Exhaust - Small gains, especially on 4.0 OHV.

No supercharger kit currently offered for the 4.0 OHV to my understanding.

What vendor carries Stroker kits/Cams/Heads for the OHV?

I know there are some good cams available for the OHC motor. There are also supercharger kits available for that motor as well.

Stinker12100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So how would a k&n intake do with a cat-back exhaust?

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
So how would a k&n intake do with a cat-back exhaust?
K+N Intake system would be a waste of money (200+)

K+N Panel filters are almost always a good investment as they are cleanable, and can save you money in the long run and give you a performance bump.

You can also "Gut" the lower/front portion of your intake box to help feed it some more air.

Cat-Back's can be had for a reasonable price new, but you will not see big gains honestly.

I am someone with a "go big or go home" mentality though.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's hard for an engine like this to be 2 things at once. A low-rpm performer needs to keep the mass of air in the intake low so the speed is high and the air can accelerate quickly into the cylinder. At high rpms, you want the paths all large so a lot of air can pass through. The pushrod 4.0 tends toward the low-rpm motor. I'm not saying you can't make it better, but Ford developed it from the drawing board for what it is. It's a lot of cubes in a small package and it delivers good torque and power for compact trucks and SUVs. It's 200ft# at 1,000rpm keeps up with about any modern engine of its size because the 4.0 was tuned to be able to do that. You start grinding out ports and increasing cam duration and you will have a motor that might make more power higher up, but will not return the money you through into it and will definitely not make 200ft# at 1,000rpm anymore.

For the high-performance version, look at the SOHC 4.0. It has a variable intake manifold so it can do the low and high speed stuff, overhead cams to get the valve stems and pushrods out of the way of the ports and get rid the the rpm-limiting valvetrain. If you want a bolt on 50hp, swap in a SOHC 4.0. It's got your performance heads.

The next step is 4-valves per and variable cam timing which pushes the power up another 50+ hp.

Whatever you can do to your pushrod motor you will definitely feel in the seat-of-the-pants because your wallet will be lighter.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I've heard from multiple members of multiple forms Morana was a useless clot.... Takes crazy long to ship, often parts have imperfections or incompatibilities...
people only go online to complain, the ones not complaining are on the drag strip.

everything man made will not be perfect.

if i win the lottery im throwning a supercharged stroker from them in my truck.

you can also easily find a charger kit around on ebay, or have one made. Would love to rousch charge my truck with the mustang v8 :)

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
People who are on ford ranger forums specifically complaining about a vendor who 'specializes' in our engines giving poor customer service makes me stay wide and clear.

Regardless I went with a 5.0 and will never look back. worlds better than any engine ever available in a ranger.

Stinker12100

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks. But if I want a little more torque for off road what would do the trick?

flatblack

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1993 ??
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
GEARS.............GEARS...............GEARS.

Its all been done and the output is just not conducive to engine durability. Its kinds hard to swallow but its either one way or its dead.
I am not trying to be a dick at all. I am just saying, the only way to get more power/torque is to do the SOHC 4.0 or the 5.0 v8.
Otherwise change the gears to play offroad.

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
GEARS.............GEARS...............GEARS.

Its all been done and the output is just not conducive to engine durability. Its kinds hard to swallow but its either one way or its dead.
I am not trying to be a dick at all. I am just saying, the only way to get more power/torque is to do the SOHC 4.0 or the 5.0 v8.
Otherwise change the gears to play offroad.
Yup.

Swap the motor, or swap gears and eat the MPG hit.

I have a 2003 FX4 Lvl2 axle with Limited slip and 4.10's forsale in northern IL (Western chicago suburbs) if you are in the area that would do the trick.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals