• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 into 88. Check my facts.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Greetings everyone.

I am about to pull the trigger on a 4.0 swap into my 88 2wd 5spd. I have researched this swap for some time and would like to know if there are any hiccups in what i have planned.

Engine: 4.0 out of a 1992 Aerostar (from my understanding, the same motor as the explorer and ranger minus the exhaust manifolds which will have to swapped)

Engine Harness: Complete Harness and ECM out of a 1992 Ranger Manual. I have read a harness out of a 90-92 ranger are the best.

Trans: I have a 5 speed m5od which I will keep. I will use the 4.0 clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, and pressure plate.

Starter: 4.0 Manual starter. Also read that if you leave the spacer that is behind the flywheel you will need an auto starter. Is that true?

Fuel lines: Must either be replaced entirely or spliced. Leaning towards splicing.

Dash: "Easier" to swap but I would much prefer the original ranger dash. I have a EVTM for my truck and will order one for a 1992 ranger. Splicing will be a slow process but I think/hope i can figure it out.

Exhaust: I think I can reuse the same exhaust, not positive though

Radiator: Larger radiator from an auto 4.0 with AC is recommended

Does anyone see anything I am overlooking? Ill take pictures as I go and try to help others interested in the same swap.

Attachments

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Do you currently have a 2.9? Your Y pipe will work with the 4.0 manifolds.

All of your facts look good to me. I don't remember what the '88 has for fuel lines, but splicing them with nylon fuel line and plastic fittings is cheap and simple; it's what I used to move my gas tank to the rear.

Everything is more or less "bolt in". Splicing the engine harness will probably be the most fun, but as long you have the manuals for both it should be easy. I have the 1992 factory manuals if you need some pics of the diagrams.

Edit:
I posted a bunch in this thread already
LINK

Last edited:

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the reply. Slight change of plans in regard to the engine. I'd found one today out of a 91 ranger that's two hrs away but less miles than the aerostar engine. Will be picking it up Monday morning.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Update

Small update for today. Picked up the 4.0 from the pull a part. Out of a 92 Aerostar. Had 110k on the clock. Has suffered from leaking valve cover gaskets for who knows how long. Spent a coupe hours cleaning up all the grime. Have a lot of cleaning left to be able to do some painting g.

Also, curse you harbor freight for not making your engine stand and engine hoist compatible. I was able to get the engine on the stand with some help.

Pulling the engine from the pull a part took most of my time, will be back tomorrow to grab a wiring harness, ecm, radiator, etc.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You need the correct 4.0 manual spacer plate or your starter isn't going to line up correctly. There is almost 2 inches of difference between the diameters of the flex plate and flywheel used on the 4.0.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Home after pulling the engine from the yard

Harbor Freight giving me a headache

After some cleaning

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the heads up adms08. I wonder if that spacer plate can be had at Rockauto? I'm getting my flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, etc from there. There is a 91 4.0 manual explorer at the boneyard I saw today. It should the plate but it would be a bear to get to it.

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also, curse you harbor freight for not making your engine stand and engine hoist compatible. I was able to get the engine on the stand with some help.
Mm-hmmm... I’ve never gotten anything from HF that was worth a damn. Most of their tools break the first time you use them. China, China, China...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Thanks for the heads up adms08. I wonder if that spacer plate can be had at Rockauto? I'm getting my flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, etc from there. There is a 91 4.0 manual explorer at the boneyard I saw today. It should the plate but it would be a bear to get to it.
Call up your local dealer. Last time I needed one I was able to get it new from Ford, and the price wasn't bad.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mm-hmmm... I’ve never gotten anything from HF that was worth a damn. Most of their tools break the first time you use them. China, China, China...
I think I have had pretty good luck with their stuff.

But I don't have high expectations of cheap stuff.

Oh. That reminds me, I gotta get the heater turned on in the parts washer.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My garage is full of HF stuff to be honest. Just have to be smart shopping there. And have reasonable expectations. I use their impact sockets almost daily. Their Pittsburgh wrenches aren't bad either. I picked up the engine hoist for 90 bucks. Can't beat that. Their 21 gal compressor is pretty nice.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My garage is full of HF stuff to be honest. Just have to be smart shopping there. And have reasonable expectations. I use their impact sockets almost daily. Their Pittsburgh wrenches aren't bad either. I picked up the engine hoist for 90 bucks. Can't beat that. Their 21 gal compressor is pretty nice.
I think that air compressor is my only HF purchase I am truly disappointed in. It didn't keep up with my tools and lasted less than 3 months before locking up.

But I think it may have had issues from day one. I have 100 amp service to my garage, a sub-panel run from the main one in the house, and my wife said that she could tell when it kicked on because the lights in the house would dim. My 220V 60 gallon unit doesn't do that.

Nate.Mountain

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Made a little progress today. Hit the bone yard and picked up a ECM out of 91 manual explorer. Getting the wiring harness and starter out of the same vehicle. Picked up an alternator, air intake and MAF. Spent some time cleaning up the engine, dang thing was caked in oil. Pulled the plenum and got it ready for paint.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i suggest to replace the freeze plugs. especially the back ones.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is there an update on this swap ??? very interesting....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals