• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 gradually getting harder to start...where to start?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
So my ranger usually fires right up, sometimes needing a little more cranking and some throttle. Lately this has been happening more often. 20/80 hard start is now 80/20. It needs extended cranking and throttle to start 80% of the time. Where would be a good place to start looking?

PS. I already did the lower intake gasket last summer. New injectors too. IAC,DPFE,EGR etc all have been replaced at some point with motocraft parts. Newish autolite double platinum plugs. The only thing I haven't messed with is the fuel pump, pressure regulator, and 02 sensors. Mileage is 90k original miles. Yes that's right, a '93 with 90k miles. I love my ranger so much. Anyways, you guys think its fuel related?

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Check your fuel pressure

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
Call we wonker but I found a new battery usually does the trick. Hey, that's been my experience. What else can I say?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Fuel filter? Made a HUGE difference on my fiance's '95 that had sat for a few years.

Think you should get a fuel pressure reading too. If it's bleeding off back into the tank, or through a ruptured regulator, or through leaking injectors, or just low pressure in general from a weak pump... a good reading at idle and again at low vacuum will give you a really good place to start.

FWIW I have had several Explorers that really required extended cranking to fire up. Their engines were used in donor projects and received new pumps, filters, and nice clean fuel tanks. The long crank time issue disappeared.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals