• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 for 4.0

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My engine is finally on its last leg I believe. I think it has a blown head gasket. It uses coolent, when its full of coolent it looses power drastically and you can hear that one of the pistans doesnt fire. Now the piston doesnt fire at all and is loosing power by the day and uses more and more coolent. It doesnt leak it I have checked all the hoses and I have coolent in my oil. The truck is a 94 Ford Ranger 4.0L 5 speed manual.

Now, I have a 4.0L out of a 94 Ford Explorer that came with the truck and here in about a month (God willing) I will be swapping the old 4.0L out of my truck and putting in the 4.0L out of the Explorer in it. Im just wanting to make sure there arnt any diffrences I should be aware of. Just looking at it it looks identical to the engine in the Ranger now. But are there any wire issues that are diffrent or hook ups? I believe the Explorer the enging came out of was also a Auto where is my Truck is a 5 speed manual, any issues with the bell housing matching up to the engine? When I do this Im going to have to rent an engine hoist since I dont have one so im trying to find out all this before I go get the hoist and rip out the old engine.

I plan on replaceing the water pump on the X 4.0L and most likely the valve covers and im thinking about replacing the head gaskets too. I was going to totally rebuild the engine but atm i dont have the money or the time to do a complete rebuild. I need my truck running asap, atm it runs and is the only vehicle I have since my Wifes Explorer is acting up, again (it has been a nightmare since we got it) so hopefully I will have her ex up and running before I swap the engines in the Ranger.

Any advise appreciated.

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow, no one? Maby this was a stupid question but I asked to be sure...figured some one would have answered by now lol.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
what I would do is put that head gasket sealer in the old motor of the ranger, to sort of bandaid that motor until u have enough cash to rebuild the other motor. Check youtube, they have a video of an old 4.2 six cylinder jeep with a blow head gasket (like yours bad it hardly runs with coolant in the engine) and they put this stuff in it, i forget the name of it, and it literally stops the leak right away, you can see the steam out the exhuast just vanish while its running.

Anyways, yeah put that in the old motor, baby it around town from piont A to B until you have enough time and money to rebuild the other motor. For all the work a motor swap requires, i honestly wouldnt put anything other then new or rebuilt under the hood, unless i was like moving or something and needed the truck that week asap.

Yeah, oh and sorry im not sure if theres any differences, just givin advice for your situation

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals